My 2020 Expedition randomly won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kriste01

Reaction score
I've had my 2020 Expedition for almost a year and this has happened about 6-7 times over the past year. When attempting to start the vehicle, the brake feels stiff and dash lights flash on and off and there is a soft clicking noise coming from the dash, but the vehicle won't start. No turning over, no engine clicks, nothing. If I leave the vehicle and come back 15-20 minutes later, it starts fine. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Maybe an issue with brake shift interlock?

Also, I've noticed my auto stop/start doesn't come on anymore, even though I have it toggled to the on position. Is there another setting somewhere I might be missing?

I can't seem to upload the video I took of the problem, but hopefully you can see it here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SYBKLR6SvBjCZGr8A

Deep8174

Reaction score
Agree. My guess is a loose battery connection on the positive side

jland84

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing for a year. Ford dealership won’t do anything about it because it’s not throwing a code when they run a diagnostic. Did you happen to find a solution? We have had it in the shop 9 times it’s currently there now

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starter. Possibly loose wire connection to the starter. I had a similar issue with my navigator.

fordguy987

Reaction score
did you ever solve this issue? I am having the exact same issue with my 2020 40k miles expedition limited

mchoudoir

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution? Our 2020 Expedition is doing the exact same thing. I replaced the battery, and I know it’s not a loose connection because if I use the remote start on the fob it starts right up. Unfortunately, as soon as I put my foot on the brake it turns back off. Usually, if I wait 10 minutes it will go back to working just fine again. Kind of at my wits end here

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Voltage Drop Test would help rule out bad battery/starter connections and/or a lifted ground.
I know it’s not a loose connection because if I use the remote start on the fob it starts right up.
Is your vehicle up to date with all updates?
as soon as I put my foot on the brake it turns back off.

Did you try putting fob in secret spot then touch the brakes?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition