Vibration While Accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texas

Reaction score
Hey all! I just bought a CPO 2020 Ford Expy King Ranch with ~55k miles. Great looking truck, and my third eco boost.

I noticed that when I accelerate at lower speeds, there’s a noticeable calm vibration. It seems like I can feel it in the seat below 50, and it kind of shifts to the steering wheel over 50. As soon as I let off the gas, it stops. I do not notice any vibrations while idle. It’s less noticeable at highway speeds, but that could just be because everything is vibrating…

I’ve owned an F150 (EB), Raptor (SVT), Explorer Sport (EB) and now this KR Expy (EB), and I’ve never noticed this before. The dealer tried to pass it off as “just what these EB’s do,” but I call BS on that (given I’ve owned 3).

I’ve read through the forums and haven’t found anything similar. My question to all the fourth gen owners, is this just an Expy thing or do I have an issue?

TIA!

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all! I just bought a CPO 2020 Ford Expy King Ranch with ~55k miles. Great looking truck, and my third eco boost.

I noticed that when I accelerate at lower speeds, there’s a noticeable calm vibration. It seems like I can feel it in the seat below 50, and it kind of shifts to the steering wheel over 50. As soon as I let off the gas, it stops. I do not notice any vibrations while idle. It’s less noticeable at highway speeds, but that could just be because everything is vibrating…

I’ve owned an F150 (EB), Raptor (SVT), Explorer Sport (EB) and now this KR Expy (EB), and I’ve never noticed this before. The dealer tried to pass it off as “just what these EB’s do,” but I call BS on that (given I’ve owned 3).

I’ve read through the forums and haven’t found anything similar. My question to all the fourth gen owners, is this just an Expy thing or do I have an issue?

TIA!
19 Limited, HD tow, 3.73 gear

I feel absolutely no type of vibrations. (and I notice everything) . Somethings wrong and the dealer is showing its incompetence. Dealers are backlogged with vehicles needing service and they try not to investigate an issue if there is no CEL and the vehicle doesnt have a super duper obvious issue that can be easily replicated..they dont want the added service repairs ESPECIALLY if u have any type of warranty coverage. They will do their best to send u on your way and say every noise, vibration is normal because they are trying to save money from warranty costs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas

Texas

Reaction score
19 Limited, HD tow, 3.73 gear

I feel absolutely no type of vibrations. (and I notice everything) . Somethings wrong and the dealer is showing its incompetence. Dealers are backlogged with vehicles needing service and they try not to investigate an issue if there is no CEL and the vehicle doesnt have a super duper obvious issue that can be easily replicated..they dont want the added service repairs ESPECIALLY if u have any type of warranty coverage. They will do their best to send u on your way and say every noise, vibration is normal because they are trying to save money from warranty costs.
Thanks! At least I’m not crazy. I was gonna go test drive another Expy, but instead I’ll just take it to a different dealer.

My buddy recommended force balancing the tires, but if that was the issue I’d notice the vibrations whether I’m accelerating or not, I assume.

My wife says she doesn’t notice anything, but like you I am a “connected driver” and hyper sensitive to noises, rattles and vibrations.

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! At least I’m not crazy. I was gonna go test drive another Expy, but instead I’ll just take it to a different dealer.

My buddy recommended force balancing the tires, but if that was the issue I’d notice the vibrations whether I’m accelerating or not, I assume.

My wife says she doesn’t notice anything, but like you I am a “connected driver” and hyper sensitive to noises, rattles and vibrations.
The Road Force wheel balancing might be a good start tho. I remember I had an issue with vibration on the highway over 50 in my Navigator. The vibration would transfer to the steering wheel as well. Did the road force and no more vibration. Although you saynu can feel the vibration at low speeds to which screams wheel bearing or driveshaft etc.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nothing should vibrate.
Try balancing and have them check the round of the tires. At low speeds out of round tires are felt predominantly, at higher speed balancing is noticeable.
Start with parts that rotate. Then check on rotors too, drive shafts, etc.
90% of the time these are tire issues.

OP
OP
Texas

Texas

Reaction score
nothing should vibrate.
Try balancing and have them check the round of the tires. At low speeds out of round tires are felt predominantly, at higher speed balancing is noticeable.
Start with parts that rotate. Then check on rotors too, drive shafts, etc.
90% of the time these are tire issues.
Thanks! I am going to start with the force balance, it’s just odd that as soon as I let off the gas I don’t feel it anymore. But I will start with the easiest/least expensive options and go from there.

RocketJump

Reaction score
Another thing to try is changing the rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid. If the noise is only happening in 4A then try changing the front diff fluid as well.

Reaction score
I was going to suggest checking the rear differential and adding a bottle of Motorcraft Friction Modifier to the rear diff. I had a similar problem and was surprised that the problem was coming from the rear limited slip differential. Easy job to do yourself, but if you do, wear gloves. the stuff stinks pretty bad and does not come off of your fingers quickly. Won't tell you how I know. ;)

OP
OP
Texas

Texas

Reaction score
Can’t get into the shop until early January, will report back! Thanks all

OP
OP
Texas

Texas

Reaction score
Update: force balanced today, only the backs were slightly off. Didn’t solve the issue, heading to dealer in January.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire