Navigation Map Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to drop this here. It appears that you can update your navigation maps for free on 2018+ expeditions/navigators. I don't know if its free every time or just a single free one, but I did it on my Expy and my MIL's Navigator. My maps went from 1 2016 to 1 2018. I don't ever use them but its nice to know that they are as up to date as Ford has for now. I did the download and transfer to USB option. The install does take a while once you put the USB in and you don't think it's doing anything, but it is. Just takes about an hour. I just left the ignition on run but not actually running in the garage and occasionally went out and checked on it.

Just go here and enter your information: https://syncnavigation.com

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
I did the same a few weeks ago... and note each download appears to be locked to the ESN. Ie you can’t take this same update and apply to other SYNC3 systems which you may own. (Ask me how I know.. ;)

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt that 15gb will go over wireless....I just download from the website and will put it to an USB.

Thanks much for the hint!!

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if its free every time or just a single free one
Does anyone have any idea on this? I never update factory nav because a) it's stupidly expensive for what it is and b) I never use it.

If it's only one freebie I'll probably wait another year or two, but if you can get the new version whenever one's out, I'm in!

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it limited to 1 update or whenever an update is available?

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
If I had to guess, they probably will now include it under standard warranty? Otherwise I would not expect them to keep updates free after that. They only post the updates once a year

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just upgraded to version 1 18. Takes a bit of time (hrs to download and then 60min to update), used a batt charger during update (running the motor was recommended, but I ran on the charger).

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the file name of the updated maps file? I want to see if it's the same as the unlocked one already floating around the internet. Thanks!

It's actually not unlocked but there is a process to get it to install. There is also now a convoluted way to install Sync 3.4 on our 3.0 APIM's but there is no going back to 3.0 after the wipe and install. You can switch between 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 though, if needed. I'll probably wait until they (the hackers) make the process more simple to upgrade the Sync software. Right now it takes two separate USB's, one to wipe and one to install, and lots of user sourced files.

Putting this link here so I can find it later: https://www.focusrs.org/threads/official-sync-3-map-update-site.120345/#post-2243614

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker