Need advice, looking at buying '00 Exp. xlt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmaster79

Reaction score
I'm currently a Eddie Bauer Explorer owner, its a little older model but my first and thought I really wouldn't like it, but turns out its been a really good truck. The only thing it don't have is the pulling power, I've had it towing almost 3,000lbs, but I doubt it would do much more..and well it gets rough on some hills. I think 3,500 would roughly be my max I'd ever pull, so thats why I'm looking at an Exp. not to mention I like the extra room. So I guess I have a few questions, since I'm really new these breed of trucks. First, the one I'm looking at is an XLT, looks to have a factory tow package, but how can I tell? Second, is a 4.6L gonna be enough, I've read alot on here, and well the feeling is mixed from what I see. And well lastly...this truck has some extra's...brush bumper on front, tail light guards, tinted windows.....great shape...its a 2000 4x4 with 86k miles...is 10k too much for this....or pretty reasonable for those miles? Thanks for the help in advance!!!

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 10 k sounds about right for the4.6L. but the xp in my opinion is way to big for that engine. the 265 hp 5.4L is sufficiant.

here are some specs for you to ponder:

engine: rear axle: max tow cap. tire size

4.6 3.55 6,000lb 16

4.6 3.55 5,000lb 17

5.4 3.55 7,400lb 16

5.4 3.55 6,900lb 17

those are all 4x4 ratings. if you dont need the 4wd then the 2wd is capable of towing up to 8,300lb.

now of coarse you can put larger gears in these trucks and change towing capacity on th plus side, but doing this would require larger brakes and beefed up suspension.

if you have any ?'s please feel free to ask , i'll do my best to answer them.

p.s. hope this helps ,and dont get that wimpy 4.6L

OP
OP
D

dmaster79

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, I guess I do have another question or 2, I will only be towing that that much weight about 3 times a year, all other times only about 2,000lbs so I'm not too sure whether the bigger 5.4L really is necessary, but I really see your point. Other then those few times a year I'll be making some trips some 1,000 miles or more without towing a few times a year. Is there really any diff in gas mileage between the 2 motors when your not towing? Thanks again...

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you should have no problem with the 4.6 , with a small amount of towing , but you might want to consider the future. i learned the hard way. when i purchased my xp i didn't even have towing inmind ,but recently my wife and i decided to buy a new travel trailer and get rid of the rv. well little did we know we are limited on trailer weight by alot. so i have had to install larger gears ,bigger brakes ,air bags just so i can pick the trailer we want.
sorry about that i ramble somtimes. as far as your gas milage goes , i get about 14-17, i'm not sure but with this suv weighing so much i would imagine that little 4.6 would have to work much harder and would probably get about the same milage. ther has been alot of discussion on here about the 4.6 v 5.4.
well again i hope this helps and good luck!

p.s. the 5.4L sounds awsome with a 3" cat back into a stage ll flowmaster turned down just in front of the rearend with a 5" tip.

bluebird1

Reaction score
I have a '00 EB which I purchased used last summer. It is a 4x4 with the 5.4 l engine. I really like the truck but there are a lot of issues with it. The towing package includes the air-adjustable (LLS - load leveling system) shocks and the are always compressor problems at about 100k miles. Also, the 4x4 models have some issues with the rear differential. So for towing, I would stay away from the 4x4 and look for one with out the LLS>