Need info on adding a drop step to my 2023 XLT fixed running board- short wife.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boobarf

Reaction score
My wife is about 4'11' and is experiencing Sciatica in her hip/leg. Even with our fixed running board it's not an easy entrance for her. The distance from the ground to the running board is 13 1/2 inches and another 5 1/5" to the floor. I don't want to switch out the installed running board to a retractable running board for 2 reasons- the cost (seems like a minimum of $2000) and, I'm not sure that it would be any lower than what we currently have.
I'm thinking that I may be able to add a Rhino drop step to the existing running board or something similar that will add a lower step and help assist her in and out getting into the car.
Your thoughts and ideas please!!!

Dahammer

Reaction score
I used a solid oak step stool for Mrs. years ago for our suburban 2004. The vehicle had a fixed running board that the factory installed. I had a step stool at home, and I just placed the footstool alongside the car when I had to drive her somewhere. She climbs up to the step stool then to the fixed running board then into the cab, and I put the stool in the back. When she had to get out, I reversed the procedure. She didn't complain.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m 6’ tall, but I’m disabled. Had 4 major spine surgeries and my left leg is very weak. I was struggling to get up into my Expedition with the base plastic boards. One day I had parked on a slope and when I returned to the truck, I couldn’t get back in. I decided I had to change the boards out to lower steps. I couldn’t afford to buy anything though until I found a pair of oem power steps on marketplace for $50 because they were inop. I knew that often they just need cleaned and lubed, but in my case I didn’t care if they stayed down. They are much lower than the base plastic ones. They step is wider and it sticks out from the truck a little farther. They are low enough you have to watch not to curb one while parallel parking. I got them both free and lubed, but the passenger side needs help going up, so it probably does need a new motor. I haven’t wired the drivers side yet. I can’t afford the AMP controller/harness so I’m just putting switches on the kick panels for now. IMG_7169.jpegIMG_6980.jpeg