Need some help finding a shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks to the info from this site, I went ahead and did the 2" spacer/TT on the Ex this weekend. Well, I had done the strutmasters conversion on it a few years back, and the shocks that came with that kit are tad bit short. It's been 50,000 miles, so time for new ones anyway, but I don't know which ones to get. If I can find some with an extended length of 23" I should be good, and get rid of the awful thumping it makes now.

Anyone else ever run into this, and remember what shocks they stuffed underneath?

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has an odd thump too. I thought it was the shocks. Mine are stock and has 140,000 miles on it. I am looking to do the 2" spacers and up grade the torsion bars. I like Rancho shocks. Though blistens are good too. Though I have not looked into shocks for the expy yet..

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting Pro Comp shocks when i do my 3.5' front spindles and 2' spacers on the rear :)

expo123.jpg
2000 xlt 4X2
4.6L 170k miles

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will post my thoughts on my Pro Comp ES9000's once I get the time to put them on. I am doing 2'' spacers in the rear with a 2-3 torsion crank for the front. I only paid $150 including shipping for all 4, so the price was just a couple bucks more than buying the most basic Gabriel bargain basement shocks.

OP
OP
J

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will post my thoughts on my Pro Comp ES9000's once I get the time to put them on. I am doing 2'' spacers in the rear with a 2-3 torsion crank for the front. I only paid $150 including shipping for all 4, so the price was just a couple bucks more than buying the most basic Gabriel bargain basement shocks.

Looking forward to that. I'm waiting to hear back from Rancho to see which one they recomend with the length that I need.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to that. I'm waiting to hear back from Rancho to see which one they recomend with the length that I need.

Let me know what they say, I have the stock size ranchos on mine now, and I am looking at doing the TT and rear spacers this summer.

OP
OP
J

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me know what they say, I have the stock size ranchos on mine now, and I am looking at doing the TT and rear spacers this summer.

Rancho says that I need to use the RS5246. I wanted to go with the RS5112 which is for a 4" lift, but the bolt size is different, so I don't know how much slop it would be.

I'm going to run the 5246's and see how that works. And hopefully, my new wheels/tires will be here this week so I can actually drive it!

OP
OP
J

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shocks came in today and are in! Night and day. It actually rides like its supposed to, no bad noises coming from the back, and all is good.

Now, to save my pennies and get a pair for the front....or just don't let the wife know I'm ordering them:cool: