Need some opinions -- power loss in hot weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000ttownexpy

Reaction score
Hi all,

i've got a 2000 5.4L xlt expedition with about 145k miles on her. I just replaced all 8 COPs with some accel brand. New spark plugs last year (about 22k miles on 'em).

Here's the issue: when it gets hot outside... say > 90 degrees, this thing just has no power. When it's cool outside, runs like a champ and the COPs really helped it run better. Made minimal difference though in the heat of the afternoon.

I'm curious if it's maybe fuel pump or???

any help is greatly appreciated.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck tends to bog down a little in the heat as well. Do you have any kind of check engine light? My truck has gotten better since ive done my intake modifications, but its still not perfect.

OP
OP

2000ttownexpy

Reaction score
found this on another forum... anyone have any information if this works?

Ya, I saw that too and asked my dealer to address it when I took my car in prior to it turning 100K and losing my warrenty. They said they'd do it but from previous customer reports it does not work. Here's the TSB:

Engine - Lacks Power in High Temperatures
Article No.
02-12-3

06/24/02

^ DRIVEABILITY - ENGINE LACKS POWER WHEN
OPERATING IN HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES
ABOVE 38C (100F) - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH
5.4L ENGINE ONLY

^ ENGINE - 5.4L - ENGINE LACKS POWER WHEN
OPERATING IN HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES
ABOVE 38C (100F)

FORD:
2000-2002 EXPEDITION, F-150

ISSUE

Some vehicles equipped with the 5.4L-2V engine may exhibit a lack of power condition when operating in ambient temperatures above 38°C (100 °F). This may be caused by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration which retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation when the Inlet Air Temperature (IAT) reaches 60°C (140 °F) or above. This may be more pronounced during stop-and-go driving.

ACTION

Verify the condition. Reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration and on 2000 and 2001 F-150's, install body plugs behind Coolant Overflow Bottle if missing. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

For 2000-2002 F-150's and Expeditions equipped with a 5.4L 2V engine, if a lack of power occurs only when the IAT is above 60°C (140°F), reprogram the PCM to the latest level calibration as shown.

For 2000 and 2001 F150's, install Body Plugs (383181-S and N807093-S) behind the Coolant Overflow Bottle. Refer to Figure 1 for location and plug button installation. These plugs will reduce the engine compartment heat moving into the air cleaner inlet area.

Body Plug Installation

1. Remove air cleaner inlet. Refer to Section 303-12.

2. Remove jack handle.

3. Remove upper radiator sight shield.

4. Disconnect radiator overflow hose from radiator to degas bottle.

5. Position degas bottle away from body plug hole area.

6. Install body plugs in location shown in illustration.

7. Position back degas bottle Torque to 9 N.m (80 Lb-in).

8. Connect radiator overflow hose.

9. Install upper radiator sight shield.

10. Install jack handle.

11. Install air cleaner inlet. Refer to Section 303-12.

Parts Block

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

021203A Reprogram Powertrain 0.6 Hr.
Control Module: 2000,
2001, 2002, F-150, F-150
Super Crew, Expedition

021203B Reprogram Powertrain 0.9 Hr.
Control Module And Install
Body Plugs If Missing:
2000, 2001 F-150, F-150
Super Crew

DEALER CODING
CONDITION