Need to formulate a course of action, a few questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I bought my 2003 FX4 last fall with 94k, really clean truck. I didnt drive it much over the winter because I wanted to do the underside and frame with POR15, being cold I waited until it was warm enough and now that that is done as well as front brakes , oil change and a few other small maintenance items that I have had to do it is time to move on to larger maintenance items/ mods. I want to avoid wasting time and of course money so I want to make a plan and have a few questions.
First, I have developed a ticking at start up from worn tensioners so I am doing new temsioners, guides, chains,
1. What is the correct pn for an upgraded oil pump from Melling? I am coming up with 2 possibilities.
2. Assuming I may need to drop the oil pan if the guides have broken off is the oil pan gasket reusable?
3. In Fordtechmakuloco's youtube vid when replacing the bolts that hold up the oil pick up he doesnt use any loctite but I would think that would be suggested?
4. Should I buy new cam and crank sprockets as well?

Next, I need to do a trans service. I want to add an upgraded trans cooler for future towing or other mods. I would like to connect said trans cooler and lines to the radiator with AN fittings and braided lines similar to that write up using the SD transcooler but I want to go right from the trans rather than splice into any factory lines so exiting and returning to the trans isnt an issue but inside the factory radiator is a trans cooler that is fed using quick cnnect fittings similar to fuel line that just press into the radiator. I want to eliminate that as a weak point so..
1. Are the fittings that are in the radiator able to be screwed out allowing a threaded AN fitting to go in there? I will buy a cooler that uses threaded inlet and outlet vs barbs.

If you read this whole thing, thanks in advance
2003, 5.4 2v

IMG_4362.JPG

waldo

Reaction score
Before you start on anything involving the rad go on amazon and order the line removal tool, well it's not really a tool but just a little plastic piece that slides in to unlock the line. I had to replace my rad and I would have been done in 30 min if I didn't have to cut those damn things out with a dremel.

OTC 6593 Transmission Disconnect Set for Ford https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H6W42Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2kDtzbAEF932H

I had no choice being that my rad blew a hole.

Reaction score
I just did everything you are contemplating 2,000 miles ago and everything turned out great!

1.) Melling # M340
2.) Just replace it, $25.49 @ Advance Auto
3.) Torque alone will be fine, but threadlock will not hurt
4.) Napa timing kit comes with Crank sprocket so I just changed it, and did phasers as well.

The whole project took me 3 weeks of working on it in my spare time, its is not that I am particularly slow or non mechanical, I just took my time and labeled bags for bolts and read and reread Haynes (Which I highly suggest for all the torque info), cleaned the insides of all the covers and painted them with rustoleum self etching primer, and most of all, when I got frustrated with things like Valve cover bolts.....Warning!...or getting the pass side valve cover off with-out disconnecting AC lines...yes you can!...I just walked away from it until I was in a better state.

Grand total was $1700 with new belt, hoses, coolant, trans fluid, filters gaskets......almost everything I could think of.

Advance Auto saved me Hundreds and delivered to my door!

Contact me direct with any other questions Doug [email protected]

OP
OP
Jay87LX

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did everything you are contemplating 2,000 miles ago and everything turned out great!

1.) Melling # M340
2.) Just replace it, $25.49 @ Advance Auto
3.) Torque alone will be fine, but threadlock will not hurt
4.) Napa timing kit comes with Crank sprocket so I just changed it, and did phasers as well.

The whole project took me 3 weeks of working on it in my spare time, its is not that I am particularly slow or non mechanical, I just took my time and labeled bags for bolts and read and reread Haynes (Which I highly suggest for all the torque info), cleaned the insides of all the covers and painted them with rustoleum self etching primer, and most of all, when I got frustrated with things like Valve cover bolts.....Warning!...or getting the pass side valve cover off with-out disconnecting AC lines...yes you can!...I just walked away from it until I was in a better state.

Grand total was $1700 with new belt, hoses, coolant, trans fluid, filters gaskets......almost everything I could think of.

Advance Auto saved me Hundreds and delivered to my door!

Contact me direct with any other questions Doug [email protected]
I have a 2v,