Never again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I say don't add anything. Change your oil and filter and use good oil and you'll be fine. If Ford wanted Lucas in it they'd specify that in your owners manual, which they've never done. Just my .02. The 5.4 is a ticky motor no matter what and if it ain't tickin away and it's quiet something's wrong.

Flush the crankcase with a double oil change, then feed it some 5w40 T6 with some Liquimoly Ceratec on a fresh Motorcraft filter... then get back to me about your ticking.

If you still hearing it, give it a read with Torque over Bluetooth OBD and/or talk to your doctor about Tinnitus.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flush the crankcase with a double oil change, then feed it some 5w40 T6 with some Liquimoly Ceratec on a fresh Motorcraft filter... then get back to me about your ticking.

If you still hearing it, give it a read with Torque over Bluetooth OBD and/or talk to your doctor about Tinnitus.

The 5.4 ticked from brand new. It is nothing to do with the bottom end it's the variable cam timing and phasing. The camphasers made excessive noise on these motors (3 valve versions) from New. open your hood while it's running and listen to it, I've yet to hear one without a tick. Don't put that thick oil in there that's how you wreck those motors, too thick to get through the small passages to lubricate everything in the top end.

Last edited:

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say don't add anything. Change your oil and filter and use good oil and you'll be fine. If Ford wanted Lucas in it they'd specify that in your owners manual, which they've never done. Just my .02. The 5.4 is a ticky motor no matter what and if it ain't tickin away and it's quiet something's wrong.
^this. I've been using Mobil 1 since it was first available to me in 1976, and have had zero major engine mechanical failures of any kind, and most vehicles have passed the 200K mark, some, 300K. Only the stuff that bolts onto the outside have needed to be replaced (alternators, water pumps, etc, which all lasted their normal period since I never over tighten the belts, and THAT'S important or you'll fry your bearings prematurely!). Synthetics are that good. Cold engine noises are pretty common, as some times the oil settles out of the valve train back into the sump, but as long as they go away once warm, there's usually nothing to worry about.
I often wonder why so many people use the assorted snake oils. Probably the same reason they buy lottery tickets. Hoping for a miracle.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ole 470k 92 IDI diesel it gets a bottle of Lucas every oil change, runs like a top.

My expedition? Eh, the bottom end is so worn out when I put the OEM oil in it after the head gasket it was a sloppy worn out mess, lots of noise and no power. Upped the thickness at the next change (500kms), got a bit better. Went up to diesel oil after that and it's now happy as a pig in shit... So I started planning an engine swap lol.

OP
OP
ChrisOIFdoc

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ole 470k 92 IDI diesel it gets a bottle of Lucas every oil change, runs like a top.

My expedition? Eh, the bottom end is so worn out when I put the OEM oil in it after the head gasket it was a sloppy worn out mess, lots of noise and no power. Upped the thickness at the next change (500kms), got a bit better. Went up to diesel oil after that and it's now happy as a pig in shit... So I started planning an engine swap lol.

I say if it works for you keep doing what your doing. Like you I'll do what I need to until I have the funds to replace a motor etc....

I never had a problem using Lucas in any of my pre 70's vehicles and I used it religiously. I do use the Lucas tranny additive in the expy, but for whatever reason it doesn't like the crankcase additive. Knock still hasn't returned.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's so odd, you think the additive would eliminate that not cause it. Machines are funny sometimes.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High mileage oil.
I hate to say this but I'm going to anyway. All your 1, 2, and 3 word posts added nothing to the discussions and makes me question whether you were just posting because you were board. How about putting some thought to your posts and add some value. Then I might have more confidence in your company when I decide to buy a tuner for my 17.