New here - still shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm Tom. I'm currently shopping for an Expedition. My search was recently expanded to Expeditions from Explorers after riding in a friends F-150.

I currently have 3 vehicles in my stable: 2012 Escape Limited V6 AWD (wife's), 2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury V6 AWD (my daily and vehicle that will lose its spot in favor of the "new" vehicle) and a 1997 Explorer with a couple offroad mods done to it.

History of my search: I had been looking for another 2nd gen Explorer. But the V6 motor and transmissions aren't the best. The V8s are better, but they are still fairly small overall. And if you're going to get crappy gas mileage, at least have a large vehicle while doing it. The 3rd gen Explorers just don't really move my needle. The Expedition on the other hand is bigger and based on the most popular vehicle sold: the F-150, so parts, support and knowledge should be plenty.

I like the look of the first gen Expeditions over the 2nd. Any of the newer gens are more than I want to pay right now. Based on that, which is the better gen? 1st or 2nd?

The "problem" with a lot of the 1st gens is that they are pretty high mileage. At least high in my opinion. Would anyone have any concerns with buying one with 175k+ miles? 200k+ miles?

Or should I go with a 2nd gen?

I've read both stickies on "what to look for" for each gen. I've driven the 1st gen while working at a Ford dealer in college (awhile ago).

BTW, here's my Explorer:
13f4cc3196c3a2c9042ebbdb5152367f.jpg

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd Gens are going to ride better due to the fully independent suspension. Are you looking for 2wd or 4wd? Are you going to take it off road? Lifting a second gen more than 3 inches or so is very expensive.

Mine is stock and drives like a car. A couple mods on easy on the throttle nets decent mileage. I get 17-18 in town and 21-22 highway.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Definitely 4wd. Offroad would be limited to what it could handle stock. As you can tell from my pic, I've got the offroad thing covered.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums... hope you find what you're looking for!

Mine is stock and drives like a car. A couple mods on easy on the throttle nets decent mileage. I get 17-18 in town and 21-22 highway.
Care to elaborate some on this subject... you deffinately got my attention!

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gott's mod(search on here), cat back, a custom tune, and electric fans.

By stock, I meant suspension wise. When my tires wear out I'm probably gonna go a little bigger with a 3/2 lift.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brett, that looks pretty awesome. How does it do in the thin air of Leadville?

What all have you done to it?

Brett

Reaction score
It does pretty well. With the intake and exhaust it breathes very well. I can pass people going up Fremont pass which is 11,319 ft. in elevation.

140,000 Original Miles
4x4/Tuned to 368hp/448 ft lbs)
Engine was built and tuned locally, Dyno'd in denver @ racing trenz
Intake/exhaust
Suspension Lift
Rebuilt Diffs
New gears
New control arms
new hubs
new rotors/pads
new ball joints
re-located oil filter w/ performance oil cooler
nitto tera grappler g2's (365/65R/18) ;)
Full audio interior. JL Audio through out the truck incl. JLw3v3 Sub and amp.
Cobra CB radio w/ bumper mounted antenna
Full tint
HIDs

edit** also has touch screen navi, bluetooth, and all that crap.

I've done a bunch of other stuff to it but that is the gist of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice work!

With all that done to it, what's the mileage like? Whatever I get will stay fairly unmolested since my Explorer gets most of that attention. Maybe a small lift and a little bigger tires is all.

Brett: when the 2nd row folds down, does it fold flat?

Brett

Reaction score
The display is reading about 12mpg. When i plug the chip in and get the reports it reads an avg of 14mpg.

And yes, the seats fold flat. I usually have my 3rd row removed from the truck and all the seats down so I can pack a lot of back country/camping gear in there.