new member towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin R

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Wife has a 2013 expedition limited 4x4 with 60k miles. Paid off and we love the truck. I sold my 2500 sierra in 2017 and have a canyon now. I am going to be bringng home my new boat in a few weeks and was debating on using the expedition. We are rated at 9200lb with a weight distribution hitch. Boat is 6300 dry, 1500lb trailer and 1000lbs in outboards. Put me in the 8500+ lb range not including gas. I would only be towing one way, one time about 15 miles. I would also be by myself so I dont add any extra payload. I realize this is pushing it and other then this one trip it will only happen once or twice a year to the ramp about 1/3 mile up the street. Im on the fence and don't wanna feel unsafe or tear the truck up. Thanks for helpful responses.

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
I think you are fine, use the tow haul mode to lock out overdrive, take it slow. Does the trailer have brakes? You’ll have the power, if it sags the rear end too much you may want a weight distribution hitch. Stopping that weight would be the issue I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
You will be perfectly fine. Here is my weight slip from one of my trips with my 07 with the same towing specs as yours . The only reason I had any issues, which I didn't really, was because I had my 69 Camaro big block in the trailer backwards. I had to to get the weight somewhat balanced. I had a lot of tools etc. in the front of the trailer. This was a 900 mile trip from Michigan to Virgina through some pretty decent mountains etc. I would definitely suggest a weight distribution hitch. Even short distances it makes things so much better.

cat-scales-with-69-camaro-063018_42576322300_o.jpg 20131008_120244_35723160923_o.jpg

Last edited:

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys. Yes the trailer has brakes and is in phenomenal operating condition.

If you don’t already, get a brake controller. There is a plug under the steering column, it’s already wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX