New Owner - Couple of problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Limited

Reaction score
I am a new to me 2005 Limited Expedition and have had a couple small issues (I hope) with it.

1. Long crank after it is driven for awhile then shut off for an hour or so (i.e. while having a meal). In the mornings it will crank right up and run fine. It did throw a code for cylinder 5 misfire a couple times so I talked to a local Ford mechanic and he suggested to replace the coil which I did and it still has the long crank before starting after sitting. Sometimes it also smells like raw gas when it does start. It has not given a misfire code the last few times I have started it. When it does start after the long crank it does run a little rougher for a couple seconds before smoothing out. I have read some of the problems similar to this but most of them seem to be long crank every time. Also fuel rail pressure is 39# when idling. Any help would be appreciated. I called a local Ford dealer and he did not really want to help me since I did not buy it there.

2. Message center on dash is dim when the headlights are off. The readout does dim down more when the headlights are on and I adjust with the dimmer switch. I drove three Expeditions before purchasing this one and two out of the three were like this.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the static fuel pressure. Sounds like a fuel leak or stuck injector. Awhile ago someone on the forum had a stuck injector that hydro locked his engine from dumping fuel in a cylinder. It may be a sporadic injector.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and what he said

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

OP
OP

05Limited

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses. Today I drove it to work about 2 miles and parked it all day. When I went to leave tonight it had the long crank before starting and running rough for a couple seconds. The temp got to about 75 today where I live if that helps. Still did not throw another code though. On the way I home I stepped on it pretty hard and it did not seem to miss a beat, it ran smooth. I really don't want to take this to a dealer but am afraid I am going to have to if I don't figure this out. I have not replaced the injector yet because I want to check the fuel pressure after it sits to make sure. What should the pressure be after sitting? Should it drop at all?

OP
OP

05Limited

Reaction score
I plugged my scan tool into the Expy and with the key on not running the fuel rail pressure went to about 60 then began dropping. I started it after it got down to 18 and it fired right up with no codes. I changed the fuel filter which was plugged, could not blow through it, and the pressure then went to 75 on key up then began dropping again but not as drastic, only difference was a cylinder 5 misfire again. I warmed the engine up good and let it sit, checked fuel pressure again and same results. Losing fuel pressure is not a good sign, is it? I think I either have a stuck injector or bad fuel pump, what do you other owners think? It runs fine down the road and when we brought it home it averaged 20 mpg with a tailwind.

RAWPWR

Reaction score
my 04 expedition 5.4 with 96k on it did something similar. went to the dealer twice over a 6 month period. they found nothing. fuel pressure was ok and no codes. it would crank and other times start right away. i bit the bullet and changed the fuel pump myself. been fine ever since. not a hard job, but you must be able to bend you arm in many directions at the same time..:eek:)

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah fuel pump check valve is worn out. Replace the fuel pump and you'll be fine. Working against a dirty fuel filter wears the pump out anyway.

-Mike

OP
OP

05Limited

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to changing the fuel pump on my Expedition and so far no problems with long cranks. It took about 3 hours to change it myself with a floor jack and a couple jack stands. The only problem I had was getting the electrical connection to snap back on the tank, (not the pump connection). I pushed it on but it would not lock so I just put a zip tie on it and called it good. I think it was for an evap sensor or some other one in the tank.

Still have to figure out the dim message center though, but I can live with it for now.