New owner in Las Vegas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgalvin66

Reaction score
Hi
My name is Dave, I just recently purchased a 97 Expedition XLT that had been badly neglected by the previous owners. I am not sure how much I wil end up needing to do to it but I know it has already turned out to be more than I had initialy thought. I have been lurking on your site for about 2 weeks now reading alot of the posts wich have helped me to decide which projects to attempt on my own and which to send to the shop.

I am medicaly retired so I am limited on what I am able to do now days even though there was a time nothing would stop me. I am not new to turning wrenches but now I can only handle smaller simpler jobs and have to limit the time I spend doing them so when I try to take on a project that would have taken me a few days now can easily take me a month or longer.

This truck is primarily going to be used for my wife to go grocery shopping and for our son to borrow as we have 2 other vehicles that we drive on a regular basis, we just don't want him driving them if we can avoid it.

So far what I have done to the truck is:
4 new O2 sensors
new plugs and wires
air filter
fixed several vacuum leaks
replacedthe the pvc valve and hose to throttle body

It goes in the shop tomorrow for:
Both exhaust maifolds replaced and all new studs
new muffler and possibly the cats on passenger side, drivers side looks to
have already been done recently
oil change
tranny fluid&filter
flush cooling system
****hopefully passes smog inspection*****

When it gets back from the shop I will:
redo the brake rotor, pads and bearings
replace 2 door lock actuators

OP
OP
D

dgalvin66

Reaction score
Freeway, What is this cat delete you mentioned?
I would think if I were to eliminat the cats it would throw codes and also prevent me from passing the anual smog inspection here in Nevada. I know it would have in California just on the visual part alone.
Here in Nevada when they do the smog inspection not only do they do a visual and stick in in the tail pipe they also plug into the OBD port so I would think one of those would tattle.
But still interested in reading about it.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont think you'll pass with the delete then...we have 4 cats...they get rid of the back 2 (one on each side) and put in pipe and continue with the exhuast mod for duals in/out or duals in/single out...but if you have emission testing...unless you can get the hookup...dont do it...i have florida tags so delete is coming soon..just have to find a good shop