New Snow Tires and Winter Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gumby, how many miles do you figure you'll have on the tires by the end of the winter? I know there are a lot of variables but just curious on a ballpark of what to expect longevity wise on the Blizzaks.
Hmmm...good question. I have about 118,000 kms or roughly 74,000 miles on the odo now. I would say about half those were on winters. I usually put them on around mid-October and then run them to about mid-April. Our temps here are usually below 0 degrees Celcius or 32F during those months so that helps on the wear.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Hmmm...good question. I have about 118,000 kms or roughly 74,000 miles on the odo now. I would say about half those were on winters. I usually put them on around mid-October and then run them to about mid-April. Our temps here are usually below 0 degrees Celcius or 32F during those months so that helps on the wear.

Good to know, I was hoping I'd get at least 30k miles out of them so that seems reasonable. Our temps are a bit warmer here than you have so that will work against me.

I've heard from others that run the Blizzaks that they generally replace them after they get down to half tread due to loss in performance. Is that how you look at it or do you run them down further than that?

Here's a pic to spruce the thread up a bit, still lots of tread with 1300 miles on them!

File_000.jpeg

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blizzaks usually get pulled at half tread because they get unbearably loud. They'll drive you nuts. Hopefully yours aren't real loud!

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine are def past the half way wear point - almost down to the wear bars. I have not noticed a jump in road noise at this point maybe my music is too loud!

Jimmer is that curb rash on your rim?? :frown:

Jimmer

Reaction score
Blizzaks usually get pulled at half tread because they get unbearably loud. They'll drive you nuts. Hopefully yours aren't real loud!

I've noticed they've got a bit of a loud hum at mid speeds on roads with a little water on them-but other than that they have been quieter than I had anticipated, so far anyway!

Jimmer

Reaction score
Mine are def past the half way wear point - almost down to the wear bars. I have not noticed a jump in road noise at this point maybe my music is too loud!

Jimmer is that curb rash on your rim?? :frown:

Gumby, I saw that too when I posted the picture. Checked it out before I got in the truck and luckily it's just some left over crusty residue from the mount and balance. Still on there after a couple car washes but it flaked off pretty easily with my fingernail.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, it's that time again... just got these new shoes.
will report back on how they perform this season.
[nokian rotiiva at plus]View attachment 39473 View attachment 39474

eastern PA winter storm, night 1, driver report:

these nokian's are pretty incredible. super solid on all the dry / wet days leading up to our big storm today. confident, sure footed on the current icy / mix / with a few inches of snow on top. never even needed to switch into snow mode, didn't even consider it, even up my buddy's steep as **** curvy driveway. most importantly, hard braking was super responsive, tracked perfectly even on the icy spots at speed, as good of winter grip i've ever had on a vehicle. huge fan of these shoes. planning to test them in the deep stuff over the next 24hrs.
nokian rotiiva at plus - E load rated - 275/55r20

AF5D4D33-4367-4712-B397-269AE051BFBE.jpeg

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
eastern PA winter storm, night 1, driver report:

these nokian's are pretty incredible. super solid on all the dry / wet days leading up to our big storm today. confident, sure footed on the current icy / mix / with a few inches of snow on top. never even needed to switch into snow mode, didn't even consider it, even up my buddy's steep as **** curvy driveway. most importantly, hard braking was super responsive, tracked perfectly even on the icy spots at speed, as good of winter grip i've ever had on a vehicle. huge fan of these shoes. planning to test them in the deep stuff over the next 24hrs.
nokian rotiiva at plus - E load rated - 275/55r20

View attachment 40128

Glad they are working for you. It will be interesting to see how they work in a real storm. As someone noted, a true winter tire has thousands of micro grooves/sipes to pick up as much snow as it can to use as traction against snow on the road.
1938ea505a47393444447834147d0f9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad they are working for you. It will be interesting to see how they work in a real storm. As someone noted, a true winter tire has thousands of micro grooves to pick up as much snow as it can to use as traction against snow on the road.
1938ea505a47393444447834147d0f9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no doubt - these nokians are not "dedicated" snows, but just really good AT all year tires, with a 60k warranty, that happen to have enough snow chops to bear the 3 mountain snowflake symbol... as close as i could get to true winter performance on a year round tire with this kind of treadwear longevity. in my experience running dedicated snows, these perform as well as any of them in a practical sense, so far... let me report back on some deep runs after we get an additional 20" over the next 40 hours!!!!

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the Rotiiva AT on a different truck and while they were good, I didn't feel I could get them again. That being said I have ran dedicated Nokian winters (HAKKA SUV R tires) and those were 100% bullet proof. IMO, I would stick with Nokian or Michelin and a close third would be Blizzaks.