New to the Expedition Family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intelisevil

Reaction score
I had a '91 Explorer for a couple of years that I sold to my Brother in Law, it's still on the road. My daily driver is a '99 5.0 Mountaineer that I picked up a couple of years ago for $1500. I've put some work into it but it's completely reliable. My wife's daily driver (until last month . . . ) was an '00 SOHC Explorer XLT.

My wife was cruising to work, a Toyota Yaris came across the center of the hiway and ran into her. Fortunately she saw it coming and was able to swerve part way out of the way so it wasn't head on! The Yaris slid along the side of the Explorer and caught on the driver's rear wheel causing it to spin into the Toyota Tercel behind my wife.

No one was badly injured. The Yaris and Tercel were obviously totaled and had to be flatbedded away. I put the spare on the driver's rear and we drove the Explorer home. Of course the Explorer is also a total because of its age and low book value but it's still driveable! I'm going to salvage a few parts to save for the Mountaineer and send her to the scraper. With the troublesome SOHC V6 and transmission I don't think she had another six months in her anyways.

As I started my search for a replacement 2nd Gen Explorer (or Mountaineer or Aviator) I stumbled across an '03 5.4 Eddie Bauer Expedition. We test drove it mainly to see if my wife would be comfortable driving something larger than the Explorer. After a little bit of haggling the price dropped from $4000 to $3000 and we drove it home. She's not perfect, but I'm handy and if this forum is anything like www.explorerforum.com is I'll get her fixed up and keep her on the road for many miles.