New to the forum here is my story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cams1467

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am the owner (saver) of a 2000 xlt expedition 4.6. So here is my story...
I worked at a big chain automotive repair place and one day an expedition came in the shop that was running like sh#t, misfire and bad exhaust leak were the first thing I noticed as my coworker pulled it in. After popping the hood it was obvious, it blew out the back plug on the driver side. Service writer starting pricing the repairs up. (This was a long term customer and we had been servicing this and all of her other vehicles for years)
She decided that cost of repairing the blown out spark plug in addition to the already know issues (electrical/ front end suspension work) that need to be fixed on the truck wasn't worth the cost of doing it and we pulled it outside and parked it. She returned the next day to gather some personal belongings out of the truck and told us she was going to sell it to a local scrap yard. After finding out she was planing to part ways with the truck I approached her and began talking to her a lil bit. She was sad to let the truck go as they had bought it brand new and it was used mostly to haul around her grandkids, but as it wasn't their primary vehicle and hadn't been for a few years it was time to let it go as her grandkids had grown enough that they were busy with sports school activities and getting older. I told her that my other half and I had been recently been looking for a third row vehicle to haul our family around and asked her if she would be interested in selling the truck to me. She began to try and talk me out of it listing all of the problems it had and I mean all of them. After a long list of small things that added up to alot I told her i was still interested and kinda chuckled and said if only I knew somebody who worked on cars for a living. She then smiled and said well if you are willing to fix it i would love to see someone put it back on the road and make some memories with it the way we have. She said the salvage yard was going to give her $450 for it as is and I could buy it for the same, so I did. I bought a single owner expedition that needed alot of over due maintance work with 177xxx on the clock Put about $1000 in parts into it and worked on it on and off got it running and drivable a few months after I bought it (this time last year) and on its first trip drove it 3 hours away for a weekend trip took the scenic route to get there and the truck did great ac blasting the whole time going through back highway rolling hills of Iowa farm land got almost 18mpg. I was happy with my investment still had a couple more things to fix but she was on the road again.

Future plan is to make it into our modest overlander family camping rig. 33s a leveling kit good long travel shocks a roof rack and roof top tent maybe even some custom built camping solutions to fit in the back.

I've been reading a lot of info an this forum over the last year and finally thought I should join and share my story.
Hope this truck brings my family closer by helping us create memories and allowing us to explore this beautiful country we live in.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. Glad you were able to get it back up and running. Did you let the original owner know you got it back on the road?