New trailer, I think I may need to upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberta Will

Reaction score
Good Morning All:

This site has been a wealth of info, keep it up!
My family and I have owned Ford Suvs for 10 years starting in 2003 with the Explorer and we now have a 2007 Expedition Ltd. We purchased our current Expy LTD used in 2011 with 84k.
My family normally camps 3 to 4 times a year with our longest trip about 400 kms each way with our 3000 pound Coleman pop up. The truck has run great with no issues and we normally get an average of 14-16 mpg pulling the Coleman. Wife and I decided to finally upgrade the trailer to a Ultralite quad bunk trailer this summer and unfortunately this is where my issues begin. When purchasing the Expy I didn't look close enough to specs and seeing the existing 7 pin and trans cooler I thought the LTD had the hd tow package, Unfortunately it is standard package only.
We got such a great deal on the trailer and thinking at a dry weight of 4200 we would be fine. We are not first time RVers so I don't take the dry weight numbers as fact so after purchase I loaded it up full water, gear, gas and kids and headed to local CAT scales. I was unhappy to find us at a total weight of 12300 lbs. Trailer is 4950lbs Expy in at 7350lbs, the combination is rated at 12100lbs max from Ford.
The truck has a Reese brake controller and the trailer has a healthy Reese 12000 lbs wd hitch with anti-sway control.
We did a quick overnighter to our local provincial park just after purchase to test all functions 2 weeks ago and it pulled really well with zero issues.
After reading most of the towing posts here (my eyes hurt) I decided to purchase and scan gauge 2 to monitor Trans temp (f), coolant temp (c) and MPG(converted from lt per 100k) a bit closer.
This last weekend we took the family camping about 500km round trip and here are my findings
-MPG is right around 8. Terrible but seems like the norm.
-Trans temp w/o trailer average 175 F. Trailer hooked up average about 190f (weather is around seasonal averages 24 Celsius) crept above 200f once at end of trip while in reverse parking trailer at storage area with incline into spot. Once again this seems ok as it is just above normal temps.
-Pulled with overdrive off entire trip and rpms stayed around 2900 with lots of power on hills and trailer was really steady with zero sway.
Rear end sags about 2 inches, front rises about 1/2 inch. I will be tweaking hd hitch to rectify this this week.
Finally my question- Do I need to upgrade to a larger SUV (excursion or Suburban 2500) or will my current (well loved) Expy be enough. Expy is paid for and has such low kms it would be a shame to sell but my family's well being is priority #1.

Sorry for being long winded but reading all the posts here I wanted as much info for feedback.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your CGVWR seems low.

Not using OD will clearly show changes in MPG. Have you considered an upgraded trans pan? I did this and holds an extra 8 qts and able to use OD when on flats.

I also put an on-top airfoil aft of the luggage rack to help deflect wind off the high-front of my trailer; not sure what your set up looks like.

In the end, you'll most-likely not see advertised MPGs, but keeping things cool, with-in weight ratings coupled with safety and enjoyment are the important things IMHO.

Low miles/KM; I'd keep her.

Had always wondered where we would have been if they'd put a small diesel in these.

PanHandler.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it doesnt have the HD tow package, your original post is a bit confusing ( 7 pin is there ??? ) You can post you VIN and check to see if it has it, don't rely just on whether you see a big trans cooler or not.
You are correct about the GCWR of 12100lbs if no HD tow but if you do have it then it jumps to 15000lbs.

Just out of curiosity what is the GVWR and payload amount listed on the door stickers of your Expy?

Also, just to make sure, we are talking about the standard length Expy not the EL/MAX correct ???

Matt

OP
OP
A

Alberta Will

Reaction score
Standard length Expy and it is only the standard tow package, I checked at my local Ford dealer. The 7 pin is aftermarket located where the 4 pin was.
7700 gvwr is printed on the door.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you definitely need a trans cooler or if you already have one, an upgraded one because as everyone knows, heat will kill a transmission! An upgraded pan would be good, I would suggest the use of royal purple max atf as I have seen countless applications where its use alone reduced transmission temps by as much as 7 degrees!

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep her...only 3-4 times a year as a mule, not gonna hurt anything. You're so close on the capacities and have already invested in the WD hitch, no sense taking on a payment! You said you're experienced RVers, so you already know what to look for and sound like you have approached the first pull cautiously, should be ok. Bummer it didn't have HD tow.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be fine towing with that. Add a trans cooler for longer trans. life and some security. I have even thought about a oil cooler for mine. Just to make it a little bit easier on the motor, since I have the 4.6L. You should be fine.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your CGVWR seems low.

Not using OD will clearly show changes in MPG. Have you considered an upgraded trans pan? I did this and holds an extra 8 qts and able to use OD when on flats.

I also put an on-top airfoil aft of the luggage rack to help deflect wind off the high-front of my trailer; not sure what your set up looks like.

In the end, you'll most-likely not see advertised MPGs, but keeping things cool, with-in weight ratings coupled with safety and enjoyment are the important things IMHO.

Low miles/KM; I'd keep her.

Had always wondered where we would have been if they'd put a small diesel in these.

PanHandler.

I could not agree more on the diesel. I also have a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel that is rated at 8500lbs. towing full time all wheel drive and 25 mpg out of a low sulfer 3.0 liter diesel (Mercedes Benz). Just imagine what we could do with a 3.5 to 4.5 liter diesel and a 8 speed gearbox (like the one in the 2014 Jeep GC Diesel that returns this year after a 4 year absence) to tow with and enjoy traveling in. I really like the Jeep GC but it is to small for my needs traveling.