Newb looking at a new vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

watajob

Reaction score
Looks like they replaced the right bench seat with a regular passenger seat and left a hole. That price is good. I would even be a little suspicious there was something else wrong at that price, but it was an SSV. How was the test drive? I have one a lot like it :). It's fun, but has a few issues. The package says it has the Heavy Duty Aux Trans Oil Cooler. Is that not accurate?

And, the rear seat doesn't appear to be vinyl, either. But, oh, well. And, you're correct: it does have the trans cooler. Any out of the ordinary problems with yours? My biggest concern is never having owned a 4WD vehicle, I'm concerned with all the extra moving parts, (bearings, CV joints, etc.) That can get to be a lot of work or expense real quick. Gotta' go drive it yet. It's over an hour away and the dogs been sick. Never a dull moment!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $8900 for my '05 EB edition with 119,700 miles on it back in August. This model is definitely stripped down from an EB.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And, the rear seat doesn't appear to be vinyl, either. But, oh, well. And, you're correct: it does have the trans cooler. Any out of the ordinary problems with yours? My biggest concern is never having owned a 4WD vehicle, I'm concerned with all the extra moving parts, (bearings, CV joints, etc.) That can get to be a lot of work or expense real quick. Gotta' go drive it yet. It's over an hour away and the dogs been sick. Never a dull moment!

Yes I noticed that about the rear seat as well. I do have the vinyl seats and they are a good alternative to leather. Don't know why they would have replaced them unless they were damaged.

I bought mine and had to finish the engine rebuild because the guy I bought it from didn't tighten all the connecting rods and some other induced issues that are now fixed. It does have a grinding noise when starting from a stop with just a little throttle. I believe it's either something just rattling or the transmission pump grinding. I still have to get underneath her and figure it out. So I would suggest listening for all the little noises when you go for a drive which is good advice in general for any car.

Put it in 4hi and drive it around and listen for any whining. If you have some, it will still work, but one of your ring/pinion gears or bearings is going out and that won't be cheap to fix. It's really annoying. Mine doesn't do it, just something to look for.

When you make turns listen for popping. If it's just one pop going from side to side or just driving slowly it may need ball joints or possibly a new CV joint if it's a rhythmic popping when turning.

I do like how it handles. Suspension seems firm, but not too firm. Don't know if SSVs have upgraded suspension, but either way it's nice.

OP
OP
W

watajob

Reaction score
Thank you! Good stuff to know when entering into battle with "unsavory" used car salesmen!

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome. I don't trust them either. Oh I forgot to mention something. When you put the switch in 4hi you should have a light on the instrument panel light up that says 4hi or something indicating it (the gauges are different from my year to yours). If it doesn't come on or blinks there is something wrong with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik