No Limited Slip Differential : What's the impact on Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed with Loki - living in Michigan, you'll see many conditions where the road will be halfway covered in ice with the crowning (i.e. right side of road is ice). This is more problematic on the inclines. The ELSD works quite seemlessly, that you really can't tell when it's shifting power left to right. In an open diff/brake based, it'll feel like the car went into limp mode if you try to apply throttle. If you make it up North during the winter months at all, you'll further benefit.

Its definitely worth the value to adjust your order if you can as long as it doesn't set you too far in delay. Often times these cars can go thru individual changes up to 3-4 weeks prior to production (as long as the part isn't heavily sequenced or batch built). You never know unless you ask.

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had asked my dealer; and he said once Build date is given out and VIN is assigned, they cannot change the configuration.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed with Loki - living in Michigan, you'll see many conditions where the road will be halfway covered in ice with the crowning (i.e. right side of road is ice). This is more problematic on the inclines. The ELSD works quite seemlessly, that you really can't tell when it's shifting power left to right. In an open diff/brake based, it'll feel like the car went into limp mode if you try to apply throttle. If you make it up North during the winter months at all, you'll further benefit.

Won't the automatic four wheel drive kick in for things like this?

I'll have to look at the new prices; you lose price protection for these types of changes, and like someone else already mentioned, you lose your place in the queue once the VIN is assigned. Still, given the price of the vehicle, if AWD isn't good enough, I'm willing to add the option. For some reason, I'm assigned priority 01; if that doesn't change, it might not lead to a big delay.

Thanks, all, for setting me straight.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, could you please explain what that sentence means for a simple idiot like me :)
I am not sure whether I have the 3.73 or not. Is that included with the HD tow pkg in 2022 ?
Basically the torque doesn’t build quick enough with airplane gears. The 3.73s let you get moving like you’d expect to. Then the power comes on and your all good. The higher gears just take off so slowly it’s annoying. Just drive both and floor it getting back to check the option box.

no joke I’d wait at the end of the line if I had to. Its that noticeable, plus now you’ll know it since it was pointed out and be that much more aggravated.
oh and the elsd is a must so there’s that.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An LSD will make no difference in towing. That’s not what it’s for. In slippery, or more dynamic conditions, then it makes a difference. So, towing in slippery conditions, then yes it is worth it (e.g. boat ramp). All depends on your usage, though.

Old Guy

Reaction score
If you have not received it yet, have the order changed and add the LSD in. Actually, having towed for 50++ years in Florida and NY state, the LSD is worth it weight in gold on a greasy, slimy boat launch ramp., or on a less than perfect campground road. And coming from snow country, the LSD is very useful when not towing.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Won't the automatic four wheel drive kick in for things like this?

I'll have to look at the new prices; you lose price protection for these types of changes, and like someone else already mentioned, you lose your place in the queue once the VIN is assigned. Still, given the price of the vehicle, if AWD isn't good enough, I'm willing to add the option. For some reason, I'm assigned priority 01; if that doesn't change, it might not lead to a big delay.

Thanks, all, for setting me straight.

4wd will try to kick in if it senses either front or rear is slipping, but impacts less if one side of the car is in a low traction situation. 4wd definitely helps more if the rear side is in bad traction and front is better.

Again, not the end of the world, but especially in winter conditions you simply have more traction options at the different corners with LSD without cutting power.

The craziest system I owned was a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi with Quadra Drive II. Its complex hydraulic 4wd system could route 100% power to one corner. Unfortunately, it was very poor in fuel consumption and made lots of drivetrain noises. Overall car wasn’t well built, but was amazing to try and get it stuck.