Noise on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need input...what does this sound like is the issue? Timing chain? Cam phasers? None of the above? It only happens at start up...worse when it’s cold.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll add that oil is fresh and using motorcraft filter.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Timing chain tensioner blew o-ring out. Just a chain slap but needs to be fixed before it breaks up the plastic guides and the debris falls into the oil pan.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Timing chain tensioner blew o-ring out. Just a chain slap but needs to be fixed before it breaks up the plastic guides and the debris falls into the oil pan.

Not cam phasers then?
What does a timing chain tensioner job entail? Anyone DYI or recommend mechanic?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retail will be $2,500-$3,000 for the job depending on your area. If you are going to diy set aside 2-3 days or set up another ride to piece meal it.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
x2 on the timing chain tensioner, the chain slap sounds pretty bad too!

You don't want to keep it like that for long, as the timing guides will disintegrate into chunks, block oil pickup tube + oil passages in that Triton and blow the engine.

I just ordered new tensioners and guides from Rockauto. You can get the parts for around $140 all in and can do the job yourself if you have a weekend to spare. You can use the upgraded Melling cast iron tensioners, which address the tensioner seal blowing problem.

Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube has a very comprehensive video on how to go about it. I suggest you check it out!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has had a tin sound startup rattle for a few months now, yours sounds pretty bad. Not a fun job but needs to be done eventually.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can drive it but if it gets worse you will know the plastic guides are breaking up. The tensioners operate mainly on oil pressure so they are only "not working" for a few seconds. Oil is going in faster than it comes out so it works "normally" after the 5+- seconds when it is retracted and not pushing on the chain. The whole front of the engine has to come off to get to the timing chain, guides, and the 2 tensioners. A bad VTC rattles constantly mainly when it idles.

t_bois

Reaction score
So what oil are you using? 5w10 or 10w 30? Is this when it's cold or hot or does it sound like that all the time?

I just spent 3K on new timing chains, cam phasers, and the rest of all the associated parts plus a new oil hi pressure pump.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what oil are you using? 5w10 or 10w 30? Is this when it's cold or hot or does it sound like that all the time?

I just spent 3K on new timing chains, cam phasers, and the rest of all the associated parts plus a new oil hi pressure pump.

Was using 5w20 and recently switched to 5w30. Primarily when it’s cold at start up. It only lasts 2-3 seconds. It’ll randomly do it when it’s hot but it’s far less common.

Who did the work for you? Dealer? Independent shop?