not a recovery point

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the Expedition has front tow hooks (if 4x4) and the rear hitch receiver. Other than that, not sure what your question is.

The traditional straps will be more hard on your vehicles than the kinetic straps. I think the kinetic straps are smarter for quick “jerks” when pulling out of a stuck situation. The traditional tow straps are going for constant pulling.

Just my opinion on the subject matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i don't understand why anyone is "not sure what my question is". I actually typed these words in my post:

"does anyone know what the load limit is for such components? "

how are you confused? I would have thought spacing it out on a line by itself and finishing with a question mark would have helped. should I bold it as well?

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i don't understand why anyone is "not sure what my question is". I actually typed these words in my post:

"does anyone know what the load limit is for such components? "

how are you confused? I would have thought spacing it out on a line by itself and finishing with a question mark would have helped. should I bold it as well?

Based on on something I read in the F-150 group when I was researching, the front tow hooks are rated at 10K pounds each at a constant tow or something. This is solely based on the stock bolts. Some have upgraded to a different tensity bolt and feel it rated at a higher value.

They started getting into specific when used in a pyrometrics manner versus static. I tuned out at that point. LOL

The rear hitch is about 9300 pounds.

Both are connected to the frame, not bumper. This should certainly help with strength where the bolts or welds will probably fail before the actual components.

If you are talking about other vehicles when discussing axle and control arms, it probably depends. A small low power, low torque car doesn’t need as hefty components as a Super Duty truck.

Your question is still not 100% clear on whether you are asking about the Expedition or other cars that you may be pulling out from being stuck.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... Your question is still not 100% clear on whether you are asking about the Expedition or other cars that you may be pulling out from being stuck. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

very good point. it simply never occurred to me. but thanks, you've been by far the most informative so far. not that it was a high bar... at least you actually read the question.

Making the wild assumption that your numbers are going to be a general approximation across the board, that tells me what I wanted to know. There's no point in buying a quarter million pound jerk strap... I can reasonably settle for something in the 20 thousand pound range and be assured of handling anything i might come across without tearing one of us apart. Which is very good, since the higher capacity straps are very expen$ive. a couple of 20K pound straps I can do.

thanks

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very good point. it simply never occurred to me. but thanks, you've been by far the most informative so far. not that it was a high bar... at least you actually read the question.

Making the wild assumption that your numbers are going to be a general approximation across the board, that tells me what I wanted to know. There's no point in buying a quarter million pound jerk strap... I can reasonably settle for something in the 20 thousand pound range and be assured of handling anything i might come across without tearing one of us apart. Which is very good, since the higher capacity straps are very expen$ive. a couple of 20K pound straps I can do.

thanks

Not sure those high numbered straps are really designed for light duty trucks/SUVs. My guess is more like the tow truck/recovery industry.

Which one are you looking at? Yank-um? Bubba? Generic Amazon? Other?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
According to Ford: "These hooks should never have a load applied to them greater than the gross vehicle weight rating of your vehicle."

I think the trucks have a GVW of about 7,400 lbs.

My assumption is that the "D-Hook" itself is probably good for about 30,000 lbs. The Ford ones are about the best around. I'd consider the limit on the bolts to be maybe 8,500 - 10,000 though. Just rule-of-thumb principles I applied when rerailing trains. The bolts (their stamped retaining nuts) mounting point would be the weak point on these if it were not a straight pull.

So you could probably lift the front end of the truck with them, yank it out of a ditch, but not too much more unless you want to risk breaking or bending things.

A good link with basic capacities and some videos of rigging equipment:
https://www.westechrigging.com/rigging-hardware.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yankum, amazon... everything. you’re right about the industry straps; i wanted to know more about their suitability. I used to do recovery in the army; the boom for a tank would outweigh smaller vehicles, like the old jeep. But we did not use kinetic recovery.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The problem with "kinetic recovery" is that things can get very much out of hand very quickly, which is probably why the Army didn't do it.

Kind of cowboy stuff.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm no expert but doing a quick search and seeing what's being said in some of the 4x4 forums, sizing the breaking point of the kinetic rope for 3-4X the gross vehicle weight seems to be the way to go.

These are very cool to see in action. I've never used one, only used tow straps. But yea, connecting to a strong enough point is key otherwise parts get ripped off :).

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm no expert but doing a quick search and seeing what's being said in some of the 4x4 forums, sizing the breaking point of the kinetic rope for 3-4X the gross vehicle weight seems to be the way to go.

These are very cool to see in action. I've never used one, only used tow straps. But yea, connecting to a strong enough point is key otherwise parts get ripped off :).

awesome! that's the kind of info I've been looking for.
thanks, man.