not a recovery point

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm always amazed when somebody thinks a bumper is good place to attach a recovery strap.
No not on modern day vehicles. I have in the past towed a skid loader with a backhoe attachment on a 2” ball bolted to the factory step bumper on my old 79 F250 without a hitch. Literally without a hitch. I’m a little older and wiser now to try and risk it. The rental company let it leave like that and they also loaded it on a single axle trailer with no brakes. Their double axle trailer was rented out at the time. I didn’t have far to tow it at least, about 10 miles. Thanks to Lady Luck I made it to cemetery where my job was digging a foundation for a utility building, in my truck and not in a hearse. That old truck was a tough one and always came through.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this is the wrong place to post questions about recovering stuck vehicles, please let me know where I should be posting.

I'm adding recovery equipment to my offroad kit. I can find a kinetic strap/rope with a MBS of over 200,000 pounds, which makes me wonder about shackles, etc. ultimately, I'll be putting a load on frame members or control arms.

does anyone know what the load limit is for such components? a 200,000 pound jerk strap is nifty, but not if all I do is pull a subframe off an SUV or some such.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the best recovery point is a factory hitch receiver, and then try to follow the ratings for trailer towing capacity. The snatch strap is fine, as long as you understand that it's capable of doing some serious harm to you or to your stuff if you get silly with it. Stretch it real tight and watch the action unfold in your rearview mirror.

Ever see a train run over a tire? I've seen them stretch like an 80-foot long rubber band. Eventually they let go and all hell breaks loose.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the Expedition has front tow hooks (if 4x4) and the rear hitch receiver. Other than that, not sure what your question is.

The traditional straps will be more hard on your vehicles than the kinetic straps. I think the kinetic straps are smarter for quick “jerks” when pulling out of a stuck situation. The traditional tow straps are going for constant pulling.

Just my opinion on the subject matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody else have an actual answer?
You might want to rephrase your question, it reads like a statement not a question, so myself and many others just agreed with it. If you are asking the best way to pull/tow an expedition I would suggest asking that specific question.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to rephrase your question, it reads like a statement not a question, so myself and many others just agreed with it. If you are asking the best way to pull/tow an expedition I would suggest asking that specific question.

A specific question? how about what I asked in my post: "does anyone know what the load limit is for such components?"

like that? that's a direct copy from my original post. Please don't reword my question; I wasn't asking the best way... for anything. I asked a specific question.

don't criticize others because you cannot read english.