O/D Off light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rad-in-Cal

Reaction score
My 2005 XLS is having transmission problems. There is major slipping going on in low gear and starting out. I changed the filter and that didn't improve the situation. Now the "O/D Off" light is flashing.

Ssimmons

Reaction score

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can get the trans codes read that will give you an idea of what the trans trouble is. I would expect a trans rebuild/replacement if the mileage is high.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is 2 sensors on the Tyranny's drivers side, this has happened to me before if I'm not mistaken its the Speed sensor (VSS)

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IF its not the sensors its the converter. don't drive it if it makes your tranny over heat.

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Any update? I've got an '05 AWD with the 4R75E. Slipping when starting out for the first couple of gears, flashing O/D light, and codes P0731, P0732 (gear ratio 1,2 incorrect). Searching for ideas/suggestions.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any update? I've got an '05 AWD with the 4R75E. Slipping when starting out for the first couple of gears, flashing O/D light, and codes P0731, P0732 (gear ratio 1,2 incorrect). Searching for ideas/suggestions.

That's not good. What's going on is that the computer is seeing the output shaft turn at a speed that isn't correct for the commanded gear. Could be from excessive slippage, an electronic or sensor issue, or it could be from the transmission starting out in the wrong gear.

The 2 sensors on the side of the transmission are the TSS (turbine shaft sensor) in the front and the OSS (output shaft sensor) in the rear. The computer takes the input from those sensors and compares that to the engine speed and expected torque converter slippage to determine if everything is working properly.

Obviously in your case it is not working properly. So what you need to find out is if the engine rpms are too high or too low for the commanded gear. Both can feel like slippage unless you are very familiar with what you are dealing with.

Too high an rpm for the commanded gear is bad.

D

XR4Ti

Reaction score
I would say too high an RPM -- the revs will spike when the trans attempts to shift, like a delayed shift or going into neutral, and there is little acceleration. The truck accelerates slowly. Once it shifts into 3rd, it seems fine.

I'm assuming the sensors are ok or I'd expect something like an out of range code. Should I expect any telltale signs if I drop the pan?

Last edited: