Octane knock sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsjammin

Reaction score
Hey all!

First post on here!

We have a 18 expedition max platinum. Bought it used a few minutes ago with 100k mi on it. Love the truck overall!

Noticed a few weeks ago that upon cold start and idle and accelerating that there’s a rattling sound coming from under the truck. The sound resembles little pebbles in an aluminum can.

Took it to the dealership to have to checked out and they told me it was the octane knock sensor that is causing that sound and that I need to use a higher octane.

Just filled it up a few days ago, drove it around and still hear the rattling.

How do I go about replacing the sensor? Do I keep driving for a few more days to see if it goes away? What is causing that noise?

Help!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all!

First post on here!

We have a 18 expedition max platinum. Bought it used a few minutes ago with 100k mi on it. Love the truck overall!

Noticed a few weeks ago that upon cold start and idle and accelerating that there’s a rattling sound coming from under the truck. The sound resembles little pebbles in an aluminum can.

Took it to the dealership to have to checked out and they told me it was the octane knock sensor that is causing that sound and that I need to use a higher octane.

Just filled it up a few days ago, drove it around and still hear the rattling.

How do I go about replacing the sensor? Do I keep driving for a few more days to see if it goes away? What is causing that noise?

Help!
Sure its not the Turbo wastegate linkage rattling? Mines rattles all the time. Literally