odd rubbing,binding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianwhite

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the expos, but not to cars/trucks by any means...truck is a 99 3in body lift small torsion crank ...33s, when the wheel is at full turn backing up it feels like the front axles are binding...they're both new so they're not worn out..or is the awd engaging ?

jimmbrooks

Reaction score
Are you sure the lugs of the tires aren't hitting the frame or inner fender? If you are sure they aren't I don't have an idea. I would agree with you about the potential for the AWD to engage, but are you backing up slow IE just letting your foot off the brake or are you giving it a punch of gas? If slow i don't think it would be your AWD. Have someone outside of the vehicle and see if your indeed binding on anything at full lock.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its more than likely the CV joints/half shafts. When they go bad they make it feel like the front is binding while turning sharp. Pretty easy to replace, and fairly cheap after you return the cores. There is like 6-8 bolts that hold it in place (I had to use a propane torch to loosen them up a little), and then the large spindle nut on the side with the tire. I would start with those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brianwhite

Reaction score
Cv shafts are both new under 3k..lugs aren't grabbing either trimmed plastic before just to make sure..think they were autozne cc shafts..maybe quality so I poor the torsion crank beat them up already ? Oh n yes I back up slow ..no reverse 180s

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next thing to try is pull the 104 fuse under the hood. Could be your A4WD acting up. Fuse 104 controls the 4wd functions and removing it will disable your transfer case to see if that is your problem. We are having that problem with my mom's 2000 and are looking at doing the brown wire mod as a solution.

Could also be a bad CV joint out of the box, especially if they were rebuilt like mine were, just never know. I would try the fuse first.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has done this for 10 years weather im in 2wd or 4. To me it feels like it drags a tire when backingup and turning sharp.

OP
OP
B

brianwhite

Reaction score
i could describe it like that now that I think about it,,appreciate the responses..ill do a search, but whats the brown wire mod.please tell me you can disable awd.....much rather rwd, and the rest when needed,,hell id rather get out and lock my hubs...