1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elijahmpark

Reaction score
Hello guys! I’m new to the forum and this will be my first post. I’ve spent countless hours scouring the forums and online for advice on suspension for my expedition. Currently it’s all stock and it’s got the air ride system on all four corners. It’s janky and worn out so I’m planning on taking it out and putting actual coils in the rear and shocks in the front. I do want to lift it with the supreme suspension lift (pucks+torsion keys). I’m just confused when it comes to the front suspension. Can I replace the front airbags with just shocks or does it have to be a coil over setup? If they are just shocks I want to get either the Ranchos or Bilestiens. I just can’t seem to find what model would work for the 4wd system. I need a shock that will accommodate for the small lift. Also when it comes to the rear what springs should I get? I have hear getting the conversion ones are weak and sag. I have looked into the air ride to coil over kits but I don’t really like them I’d rather get actual quality parts. Sorry for the long post and i know there are lots of other threads related to the suspension stuff but I can’t seem to find a direct answer when it comes to the air ride 4WD version of the expy. Thanks guys! I will include a picture of my expy too! So far I’ve just done some add ons like light bars+pods, a brush guard, tow mirrors, and some other small things here and there. Eventually, I want to lift it, put either 33s or 35s and American racing rims, winch and some other random things. It’s got about 130k miles on it and it’s mechanically sound other then a few minor leaks here and there that I will get to eventually haha. I got it from a family friend for dirt cheap. I’m 17 so it’s a slow build due to me only working part time but it’s a fun process! I think the expeditions are great SUVs!

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 7

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got you boo.

If you get the complete swap kit you are golden.

The weight of the vehicle is carried by the torsion bars, the airbags/shocks simply dampen the movement as the suspension travels.

Also you'll read some info about the torsion bars on the EB being weaker so you can't get the same level of lift. That's not true, the factory size shocks are just to short and limit the lift you can get.

The rear coils do sag, it's the issue of basically she's got a heavy ass with the rear of the truck. But you can find coil spacers dirt cheap on eBay up to 3".

I have a discontinued 3" Daystar in the back of mine. That with a body lift clear 37's easily.

Currently in the process of resurrecting mine, if you have any questions hit me up. My brain is filled with tons of useless info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire