Odd screeching sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know if this sound is related to my brakes but it happens intermittently when I brake. (I’m gonna pull passenger side wheel today to check though.) It oddly sometimes sounds like it’s coming from my dash or speaker. (Radio is turned all way down tho).

Also...it doesn’t seem to be very audible outside the vehicle.

Just wanted to check if anyone might’ve heard this in their Expy. Could the sound be related to wheel hub? Front axle? Maybe a baby pterodactyl? [emoji2357]

Thanks for any input!

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like anything to do with brakes. Sounds like a fan motor, same speed and tone throughout the whole incident. Is the air/heat on when this happens? Wondering if the force of braking is causing the fan motor to shift enough to make noise. I know that sounds odd but I've seen stranger things. Just does't sound mechanically hard enough for brakes.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like anything to do with brakes. Sounds like a fan motor, same speed and tone throughout the whole incident. Is the air/heat on when this happens? Wondering if the force of braking is causing the fan motor to shift enough to make noise. I know that sounds odd but I've seen stranger things. Just does't sound mechanically hard enough for brakes.

I was wondering something similar. The HVAC was on. I’ve turned the fan all the way down wondering if it was related but it still happened. I didn’t try turning it off though...

Just odd it happens when I’m braking and it def sounds like a fan motor. [emoji2357][emoji2369]

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering something similar. The HVAC was on. I’ve turned the fan all the way down wondering if it was related but it still happened. I didn’t try turning it off though...

Just odd it happens when I’m braking and it def sounds like a fan motor. [emoji2357][emoji2369]

Try turning it off an let me know. Now I'm just curious:)

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try turning it off an let me know. Now I'm just curious:)

Update: I turned off the HVAC today when i heard the sound while braking. Yep. The sound immediately stopped.
You win the insightful comment of the day TommyDdsr!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was a brilliant deduction, I have to commend you,:worthy:

MerbysDaddy

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, but I had that exact same noise in my 2010 Navigator. I ordered a blower motor for the A/C and the noise was gone. Cost me $35.

tobinjtaylor

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing here, guys. I have the same problem on 2011 Exp. Any advice on what kind of black magic is needed to get the blower motor to drop out? There just doesn't seem to be enough clearance to make that happen or there are some laws of physics that I don't understand. Grunting, twisting, pulling and praying don't seem to make much difference. The housing gets hung up on the sound deadening pad which is taking a beating from my efforts. I keep thinking there must be a trick or step I've skipped. I got so frustrated I just reattached the old squealing motor figuring if I got the old one out, I'd face the reverse struggle on installing new one. Noisy motor seemed better than no motor. Any help is appreciated!