OEM Tires of 2022 Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently have a 2018 Platinum, and have had a number of Expeditions since 1998. I also have a 2022 Expedition Platinum on order, if it ever gets built. My current Platinum has served me well, and I think, overall, it is a great vehicle. If I have one major complaint about my current vehicle, it is the Hankook tires. I live in Massachusetts and we do get snow, as well as rain.

Prior to my 2018, I had a 2015 Expedition Platinum, which came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. That truck and tires performed perfectly!! I CAN'T say that about the Hankooks. The Hankook performance on light snow and rain is absolutely terrible. During a rain storm, I feel like I am driving a boat with these Hankook tires!

I'm informed that the OEM tires are General Tire (owned by Continental) Grabber HTS are the standard OEM tires for the Expedition Platinum and Navigator.

The vehicle is not cheap, and I'm not thrilled about spending ~$1K for better tires ( such as Pirelli Scorpions AS3) on a brand new vehicle, but I'm no longer going to put up with lousy tires on a great vehicle.

Anyone have any thoughts on the General Grabbers?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tire rack tested these. The compare isn’t as useful but the testing and video will give you better feel for the tires.

I’m in a similar situation to you in the northeast. I might just bite the bullet and buy new tires in the fall so I get some summer and fall use out of these then swap over to better rubber in November to get me through the winter and spring.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am on my third set (current set on my '19 Expy, other 2 sets were on a F150) of General Grabbers ATX (AT2 was the 1st set) AVG 60k miles on them. When I lived in CT they were awesome in the snow/rain. They are studdable for ice but never did that. The ATXs are different from the HTS so can't speak to that tread. @caplanm

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires

Attachments

• 0C2A7FD6-D080-4E93-B1ED-C5D836714E7A.jpeg
    0C2A7FD6-D080-4E93-B1ED-C5D836714E7A.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 7D4FC337-ECC2-4F91-B95C-ABBE4986E585.jpeg
    7D4FC337-ECC2-4F91-B95C-ABBE4986E585.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 44
  • CF61816E-30FB-4654-AB67-3B27FB598529.jpeg
    CF61816E-30FB-4654-AB67-3B27FB598529.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 51

Infra246

Reaction score
Like you I have owned many expeditions, I have a 2022 on the way, it will be my 6th. I find any all season is fine the first winter and then the second season it is down right dangerous in a heavy vehicle like an expy. I find it makes much more sense to buy dedicated snow tires on rims and swap them out in the driveway. It simply extends the life of the all seasons and you get incredibly better performance in stop and start traction. I started out with cheaper 17" way back when but hated the look. I moved up to 20" f150 rims for a while and finally last year found a set of 2018 22" expedition rims for a really good deal. Had a set of Nokian Halkkapellitas put on them and truck looks great and performs even better. Locally here you can usually find guys selling factory f150 takeoffs with new hankooks and sensors. Just sell the hankooks and but some proper snow tires. If you are leasing you just use them on the next truck. If you replace the tires you have to give them up anyways when your return/trade so a dedicated set makes much more sense in my opinion. My 22s will go go on my new 2022 expy next winter.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything I have read (both here and online) about the Pirelli's are quite good. Major downfall is treadlife.

John Ferrero

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Exp Max With the hankook HT tires on 22" rims. Terrible tires in both spring and winter conditions. I went with a dedicated snow tire blizzak dvms on 18-in rims (more sidewall, less rim damage). They perform flawlessly in the winter everything from 12 inches of snow in the Rockies to hard ice pack in Chicagoland area. In summer I've continued to use the Hankook HTs but will be replacing them this spring season. Good luck!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most all new vehicles will come with the absolute cheapest tire and it will be a road tire so its quiet and efficient. 90% of these just run from work to soccer practice.

tgapense

Reaction score
I've got a '22 SPP that's been on order since March and is "supposed" to finally go into production next week. So I've been looking into the tires. I'm in Colorado and we go up skiing often in the winter, and with small children I'll be getting dedicated winter tires for extra peace of mind (X-Ice Snow). I was considering swapping the Grabbers out for Defender LTX, but I found the below review and after watching this I feel fairly confident in keeping the Grabbers on until they need replaced. Anyone have any real world experience with the Grabbers driving in the rain?