2022 Platinum wheel/tire question 22->18?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hj_buf

Reaction score
I purchased a 2022 Expedition Platinum in the Spring, trading in a 2018 Expedition XLT.
Unfortunately, last winter I purchase Blizzak tires for my 2018, and there are nearly brand new.
I was wondering if there was a way I can use them on my new Expedition.

I confess that figuring out wheel and tire size compatibility seems like black magic to me.

My current wheels are (I believe) the factory 22s with 6 spokes, and the tires read:
285/45 R22 114H

The Bizzaks are:
P275/65 R18 114R

The tire calculator I found online (see attached) seems to think there is a negligible difference in the outer diameters...so I should be good?
Just need to find some 18 inch rims in the correct blot pattern?

I guess I could always get some snow tires to fit the factory 22 rims, but to be honest I don't love the stiff ride and would like a little more sidewall.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-09 162401.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 162401.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 19

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get the correct rim size, the tire and wheel combo will fit just fine. The stock 22s is not the correct rim size however. If you can find some 6 lug 18in wheels with the right width, you'll be fine. Look into getting oem 18s or go online and grab a nice set. I got my 22s on Amazon and get a good amount of compliments and they undercut oem prices by hundreds.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get the correct rim size, the tire and wheel combo will fit just fine. The stock 22s is not the correct rim size however. If you can find some 6 lug 18in wheels with the right width, you'll be fine. Look into getting oem 18s or go online and grab a nice set. I got my 22s on Amazon and get a good amount of compliments and they undercut oem prices by hundreds.
Have a link to yours? Looking for similar setup

funduty

Reaction score
Have a 22 platinum with the same wheel set up. Looked into this a little before but haven’t changed anything. The 22’s don’t have much sidewall and ride a little rough even with ccd.
Our’s is forged green so feel the polished matches the rest, which is why we ordered them over the standard satin 12 spoke.

since you already have the tires the 18” wheels would be perfect for a winter set and save the Oem setup for summer.
Maybe find a set of stock 18” take offs from an xlt, or probably under 1k for some nice aftermarket.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@hj_buf The 18" XLT wheels will definitely work. I had low mileage take off wheels and tires from a new Ford F150. The FX2 FX4 Lariat 18" Machine and Black Sport 6 Spoke Wheels are a perfect fit with some small 1/4" rear spacers if you want to retain the center caps without grinding a small bit off the axle tip. The speedometer was 100% accurate. There should be several posts on it. Your 18" tires should work just fine.

VICTORGOR

Reaction score
The 2022 platinum comes standard with 22 in wheels the spare I have is an 18 inch wheel, and if you have the electronic posi traction and have a flat on the rear 22 inch tire the 18 is a misfit for this set up. See what kind of answer you get from dealer or ford.

Tom Brennan

Reaction score
I changed out the 22inch rims for 18’s on my 2019 Expedition. I bought third party rims from Town Fair Tire. They were tough to get during the pandemic but they had them vs a Ford dealership At about 2/3 the price. I need 18s to air down tires for drives on the beach. I think they ride more softly and handle fine. You’ll find a great used market for the 22 inch rims because lots of F150 owners want to soup up their rides.

joeblade06

Reaction score
Sorry to repost a similar question here to but i just found this thread:
Similar hj_buf. I want to have a set of 18" for my '22 limited to swap during the winter from my 20"s. There are more salvage and refurbished 4th Generation wheels now available so the cost will not be Ford crazy. Has anyone done a dedicated set of winter tires on 18's from 20? if yes, did you go with the 275/65/18 and with which rim (NL1Z1007C:from XLT or NL1Z1007G:from Timberline)? Thanks in advance