oil and filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK we need a laugh. I did not drive ol girl much in 2019
took her in for an oil change because the dash said to.
well just a tad over 4200 miles since it was changed last. Guess computer figured HEY DUMMY its been 12 months :banana-mario::banana-mario:
i might need to drive her more

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me with the old 2000 explorer that our 07 Expo replaced. I kept the explorer just to play with and go off road. Changed the oil be parked it and like clockwork, three months later, it said to replace the oil. Hadn't driven it a thousand miles I don't think and the oil still looked brand new.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL) using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Like others I was surprised at the low oil life remaining percent until I remembered the computer wants the oil changed at the "or 12 months" if not done by mileage earlier. I don't drive enough mines either to change the oil more frequently.

For curiosity I'll be sending an oil sample to Blackstone Labs in a couple of months to see how the oil looks after 12 months of light duty. Also want to see if there's any fuel dilution.

-- Chuck

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does the oil monitor know what date the oil was changed?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hec with that hogwash. I watch the speedo and change it every 5k miles in multiples of 5. (change at 125k, 130k, 135k, etc.)…...been doin' that for many many years.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Most of the classic car guys I know who don't drive much change their oil once a year. Seems that oil these days doesn't degrade as quickly as it used to.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use synthetic oil and change it and the filter every 6,000 miles.

Mobil 1 is said to last a few thousand miles past that but I just like to change it every 6 thousand. Been doing that, in several vehicles, for years.

I have not, yet, seen the oil change reminder in the Expedition. I see it in my wife's Outlander and ignore it. I'm not changing out synthetic oil/filter every 6 months if it's under 6,000 miles.

I see a reminder in my Chevy truck - if I forget to reset it when I do that 6,000 mile oil change (this time it's taking me almost 2 years to put 6,000 miles on it since the last oil change (April 2018). Haven't seen the oil change reminder yet. So that one isn't set up on an arbitrary time schedule (regardless of oil condition) like the Mitsubishi is.

I don't think the Coupe has a reminder. I've never seen one or had to reset one on that car.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dude, a lot of guys take her in dude like every 15,000 miles and have Jiffy put in extended preformance oil so she'll be all set.