oil change yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know we dont really get excited about oil changes. I have no idea if other dealers come close or do more to what my selling dealer does.
But i have to give them a shout out
Brian Toliver Ford
I usually use the satellite lot close to home to get oil changes and normal stuff, because they are 10 miles away. They always do a good job. Clean, timely, etc.

But yesterday i was near the mother ship lot about 24 miles north of me and wanted to get oil changed and see if the additional drive is worth the effort. funny thing is the same service was 5 cents less money at the mother ship ???

anyway.
I drove up and parked in the service lane.
walked in and was met by a friendly service writer young man. Informed him i needed an oil change and the rotation was not required as the tires only have 200 or so mile son them.

so he takes the key and places a protector on the seat and floor and hung the big red thing from the mirror.

all the sudden i see my vehicle in the BIG WINDOW about 20 feet from me.

two guys, in SPOTLESS uniforms and wearing black surgical gloves are moving around my vehicle, doing what looks like a detailed look around.
one guy pops the hood and i watch as he takes a VERY bright light and does a deep look around the engine bay, and then eye balls all the reservoirs.
he then places a CLEAN shop towel on the radiator frame and places the oil cap on it. he even inspected its o ring.
out pops the air cleaner, it only has about 15k miles on it, but its clean from where i am sitting.
he shines a bright light through it and around and then decides its good and blows a bit of air across it to blow off the lite dust.

I have never seen this before.
then the vehicle starts wiggling and rises up. a guy does a complete and timely walk around under the vehicle looking and touching what looked like every nut and bolt, measure the tread on all five tires, brake linings and even wiggled the exhaust.

then he checked the tire pressure, again all five tires.

meanwhile the other dude has removed the shield under the engine, not the little cover, the entire shield.
off comes the oil filter, which he caught in a drain pan.
then the drain pan nut, and let her rip.
this guy then put on a new filter and proceeded to take another shop towel and wipes down the frame parts, the engine and all them little recesses. installed the shield and let vehicle down.

they filled up the oil, and checked the level a minute or two later and VACUUMED out the air filter box.
then he wipes off the top of the engine and everywhere he touched. I am thinking wholly cow.

then they close her up and back her out, she disappears for about 10 minutes.

then another clean technician, walks in with my keys and passes them off to the service writer.
he runs out and i guess verifies the vehicle is all ready and good to go.
i find out, during the 10 minutes it was out of sight, that they ran it through the tunnel car wash out back and then DRIED it off and did the quick vacuum and wipe down of the interior. I about passed out when i went out to get in the car and saw it was clean.

so i know now, future oil changes are going to be at the mother ship.

how many dealers do this ?
the dealership was also immaculate, even the restroom was spotless.
coffee was disappointing, but hey we cant have everything

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
It’s called ‘The Works’. My dealer does it too. And I get a report on the condition of my truck systems.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
funny story about the dealership.. 2 and 1/2 years ago it burned to the ground, we are talking just a heap of molten steel and alum.
few new cars destroyed, few customer cars destroyed in service bay. he replaced those vehicles with new ones.
it was nice then...but when he rebuilt. he went a few steps beyond and its a very nice appealing place. he also sells Lincolns.
super laid back, not much typical dealer stuff. they bought out my friends place which is now the local place in town.
the inventory turn over is fast. this guy owns four other dealerships (dodge, jeep and two fords) used cars dont sit long

yep the works it is, but i never got a wash from the local in town lot. i was blown away by the attention to detail.
so is my wife...no oil drips on the garage floor

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The selling dealer where I bought my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new, and where I USED to have my service done (warranty and customer-pay), twice installed 5-W-20 oil instead of 5-W-30.

Once the mechanic installed eight quarts of oil instead of six. After a “Works” inspection, with everything checked as green or okay, I checked the positive battery terminal under the red vinyl cover when I got home, and found a massive amount of corrosion (cleaned myself). Numerous times I had black, greasy smudges on the LF door sill (Dune / tan interior).

I switched to another Ford dealer for service, and after the first “works” oil change, I came home and saw the large underbody shield hanging down and not fastened properly. I had to return to the dealer, as I could not get under the vehicle due to a recent surgery.

I wish I could find a Ford dealer in my area that provided such good service. I’d pay twice what the OP paid just to have the service done RIGHT. Now, I’m on the search for another Ford dealership for service.

I’ve learned that Ford cares very little about the service their authorized dealers provide (or doesn’t provide.....).