Oil Recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddywilson1974

Reaction score
I m new to this forum and I have an 08 Expedition Limited EL 5.4. I will use Castrol oil but what is the recommendations on type and weight? I think ive seen 5w-20 for the weight but not 100% sure? I have also seen some debate on here about titanium or not, synthetic or not? any help would be appreciated, also how many quarts? Thanks in advance.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobil 1 is all I run. You can run a higher weight (5W30), a lot of blown guys in the south do to help prevent blowby but in your application 5W20 is plenty. I'd skip castrol it's crap oil once you get some life on it when you start looking at SOS history. The biggest thing is proper oil change schedules and sampling. I can watch the protection level by sampling and adjust intervals to the correct timing so oil isn't wasted and the engine isn't run unprotected.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobile 1 extended with either k and n/purolator purone/mobile 1/wix filter. 5w20 ALWAYS for these trucks. Regular mobile 1 is good to.

OleAppleJack

Reaction score
Amsoil 5W-20 XL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oil. I change oil every 5K, even though XL is an extended life oil.

Motorcraft OE FL-820S filter

Last edited:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amsoil 5W-20 XL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oil. I change oil every 5K, even though XL is an extended life oil.

Motorcraft OE FL-820S filter

5k is my preferred interval too.

I would be afraid to listen to these guys. They change their oils based on I think and that's preferred with no documentation to back it up.

Again, my advise pick the oil you want to use and start at 5,000 miles with oil samples and see where you are. You could even sample at 2,500 miles then 5,000 to see if you need to shorten the change interval or you can extend it. My truck is under worse conditions than most and I still get 7,500 miles out of the oil (using Mobil 1).

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run royal purple in recommended factory weight

OleAppleJack

Reaction score
I would be afraid to listen to these guys. They change their oils based on I think and that's preferred with no documentation to back it up.

You have your method and I have mine.
I once had a doctor tell me I needed to stop drinking alcohol; I changed doctors.!!
Still kick'n at 73. :Rock on:

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amsoil is used in all law enforcement vehicles and is changed every 8k miles. Amsoil is a very good oil EXPENSIVE but very good oil.
I use Royal Purple my self and change it every 4K miles. factory weight.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amsoil is used in all law enforcement vehicles and is changed every 8k miles. Amsoil is a very good oil EXPENSIVE but very good oil.
I use Royal Purple my self and change it every 4K miles. factory weight.

I'd steer clear of RP for several reasons especially in a mod motor. FYI all law enforcement does not run amsoil, where did you get that BS from?