Options for rear tire carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RhinoTheExpo

Reaction score
I have a 97 that I am turning into a bit of a trail rig/light overlanding rig. It's capable enough as I have the limited slip and 4 wheel, as well as a decent lift and 35s, but I have to keep the spare in the back of the truck. It's been fine so far, but it takes up a lot of space and i really like the look of a swing out bumper with a tire carrier, which could also hold my jerry can. I've looked around online, and I see there are some options for hitch mounted carriers, but these are often only slightly less expensive than going custom, and this is a heavy 35 which limits my options somewhat. Also, every one I have seen so far holds the tire way out away from the vehicle which at the very least doesn't look very good. Ultimately I think it would be best to have a custom bumper fabbed, as it would be cleanest, most durable, and hold the tire closest to the body. Does anyone have any experience mounting a tire to the back of their first gen expy in any way? I know a custom bumper would cost a lot, I'm willing to put a fair amount into it, so does anyone know any good custom fab shops that they've had a good experience with, preferably in the Phoenix area?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 29

LAexpy

Reaction score
Here’s a link to a video of custom fabbed front & rear bumpers and sliders for a Gen 2 Expedition, by CBI Offroad several years ago. They mostly do bumpers for Toys and Lexus

Link to video https://youtu.be/Ww6UNeV1ioA

Dobermans

Reaction score
There are a couple of people in here with a rear bumper spare. I don’t remember who, but someone used one off a bronco with some mods.

OP
OP
RhinoTheExpo

RhinoTheExpo

Reaction score
I did consider the type like the ones on broncos that aren't a bumper but attach to the D pillar essentially. My biggest concern is it would just rip out and be too flimsy. Would be really neat if it is possible though, would look a little more classic.

Last edited:

Lumberjack

Reaction score
It a hitch mount but very well built and decently priced
IMG_0713.jpeg