Overactive Advanctrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Experienced my first snow while owning my 2012 EL. The traction control is kicking in so much in a few inches of snow that I get stuck. The truck actually goes better in 2wd. I hold the traction control off button for 10 seconds and it does not shut off. It is like the TC is over doing it on the front end and brings me to a very slow roll. It does this in 4A, 4H and 4L.

I did have a 2.5/1.5 lift and I was getting a groan. Lift has been removed and the groan is only occasional when the temp is 40 degrees plus out side. I am now running 33s with stock ride height.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Experienced my first snow while owning my 2012 EL. The traction control is kicking in so much in a few inches of snow that I get stuck. The truck actually goes better in 2wd. I hold the traction control off button for 10 seconds and it does not shut off. It is like the TC is over doing it on the front end and brings me to a very slow roll. It does this in 4A, 4H and 4L.

I did have a 2.5/1.5 lift and I was getting a groan. Lift has been removed and the groan is only occasional when the temp is 40 degrees plus out side. I am now running 33s with stock ride height.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

Your tire and wheel size is affecting the traction control system. What was the purpose of changing from the stock tire and wheel size?

I live in the snow belt and have driven my Expedition in the snow many times. Never had an issue with the traction control over reacting.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the tire/wheel effect. That would the first place I would look as the cause. My TC used to come on all the time with stock size Pirellis in the rain and rarely comes on with my Michelins - my point simply being that even a small change in the tires/wheels can have a noticeable change in TC behavior.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm my traction control isn’t very active in 4x4 but very active in 2H. Strange it’s coming on so much for you in 4 wheel

OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tire size change was just to make it a little more aggressive looking. Lots of Fords running around with one size bigger tire up north. I can’t imagine people would be doing it if it cause this bad of an issue. But I thought that on the lift too lol.

I did find a little bit of talk about people doing a recalibrate after changing tire size. Sounded like they went to the dealer.

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
If I had to guess, your front tires have less grip than the rears, causing more slip and the tc to interfere more often... or in an unusual situation someone has replaced the front or rear diff with the wrong ratio without changing the other, causing binding and slip in 4wd... my money would be on the front tires being more worn or a different size than the rear.

OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tires are new. The front diff was replaced. If it was the wrong ratio wouldn’t I have constant binding in 4wd?

OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well everyday is a day in school. It was not engaging in 4wd. What I was feeling was the TC going nuts because the IWE were not engaged.
Worked the IWE back and forth with vac pump and then left vac hoses off. Much better. now to figure out why it’s holding vac and not engaging.