P0299 - Low Boost Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 Expedition XLT with 75,*** miles

I monitor a few gauges, such as boost pressure/vacuum with an old android phone with the Torque App on it, connected by bluetooth to an OBDII reader. Also, I'm running the SCT 89 octane tow/performance tune.

Now on to the story. So, I first got this code about 3 weeks ago while towing my boat up a long gradual hill, I was making about 13lbs of boost climbing the hill, then all of the sudden it dropped to 5lbs and felt like I had a 4 cylinder. No check engine light. I pulled off the highway and pulled the codes, finding a P0299 "low boost pressure" code. I cleared the code, restarted the truck, and continued on my merry way with no further issues.... until the trip home later that day.. same spot on the highway, a long gradual hill, all of the sudden I have no power, until I pull off the highway, clear the P0299 code, restart the truck, and proceed with my drive.

What I discovered is that this code is set when the PCM sees a 4lb or greater drop in pressure (from what it expects to see) for 4-5 seconds or longer, when the code is set the PCM goes to limp mode, which limits boost pressure to about 5lbs until the code is cleared.

First I checked all of the pressure side clamps on the turbos, the intercooler, throttle body, etc, then checked all of the hoses that go to the wastegates and wastegate actuator solenoid that is on top of the intake manifold. Nothing seemed loose, no holes or cracks in any hoses, etc. Problem persisted when towing.

As a couple of weeks went by I noticed in my daily driving that the truck was getting more and more "piggy", needing to rev higher in the RPMs to get up to speed, boost pressure not getting much over 15 at full throttle (it hits 20 with the tune), and really slow to build pressure in normal daily driving.

At this point I was thinking that it's either a faulty wastegate, wastegate actuator solenoid, or blow off valve (ford calls it a turbocharger intercooler valve). The two cheapest of those parts are the wastegate actuator solenoid ($28) and the blow off valve ($58). Now the blow off valve has a rubber diaphragm inside, which from what I found online can develop a tear, so that's the part I was hoping caused the problem, and if the tear were enlarging, that would explain why the problem seems to be getting worse. So I ordered part # AA5Z-9U465-A and upon removing the old one last night I could immediately see the tear in the rubber diaphragm. Bolted the new part in place, reconnected the electrical connector, took it for a test drive, and WOW is the power back!

Hope his helps someone save a lot of troubleshooting time and/or money.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what year was the 3.5 turbo you replaced the part on? I'm assuming 2015-2017? Great post but always list your year in case you need diagnostic help back. Good job diagnosis and fix, probably saved you at least $500.00 to $1000.00.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MidwestBoater

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, it's a 2016 with 75,*** miles. I updated the original post.

So what year was the 3.5 turbo you replaced the part on? I'm assuming 2015-2017? Great post but always list your year in case you need diagnostic help back. Good job diagnosis and fix, probably saved you at least $500.00 to $1000.00.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured it had to be at lest 2-3 years old. A new one probably wouldn't have enough hours under it's belt. Is this a common failure on these turbos?

OP
OP
MidwestBoater

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does seem to be fairly common, though many owners with vehicles still under warranty have had dealerships throw expensive parts and labor at the problem before replacing the blow off valve..

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's because so many dealers hire kids that really shouldn't be working in the service dept. These Ford's get tougher and tougher to diagnose. And Ford pretty much pays for anything reasonable to fix a warranty item. To them with deep pockets it's no big deal. Sure would be nice though if Ford themselves trained these kids instead of Wyotec or any school that teaches on a variety of vechicles. It takes years to get the techs up to speed and know the problems like yours had. Too bad they don't watch more you tube, and about fixing Ford's, not some crappy kid video that goes virual.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have just shy of 100,000 miles on my 2015 EL and I haven’t experienced this yet though every so often when I press the throttle I get a weird almost airy/buzzing sound and when I actually go full throttle it almost “snaps” and the sound immediately stops. Wondering if maybe it’s the same area of issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 17 Expy with about 6500 miles. Ford replaced the MAP sensor first but it happened again - P0299. Second time they replaced the throttle body and no problems since.

Glad to hear yours was an easy fix.

Matticus

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old post, but where is this valve located? Tried googling it, but can't seem to find anything to indicate where it is at

BrianB

Reaction score
I got this code on my 2015 EL XLT around 80k miles. I ended up changing out the blow off valve and that solved the problem and I tow a 6000lb travel trailer, I'm close to 111k miles now.

I ended up pulling the intercooler off, which was a huge pain, so if you can reach that valve without removing the intercooler, things will go much easier. Have to rotate the plastic assembly that the valve attaches to. See attached pictures.
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 19.46.45.png Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 19.45.11.png IMG_4016.JPG IMG_4021.JPG IMG_4026.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205