P0401 Fix & Wake Up Call

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoScope

Reaction score
2001 XLT 2WD, Engine actually ran very good, gas mileage was'nt great but...
Through the help of this forum I was finally able to resolve a long standing 'Check Engine' Light Issue.
I had Codes P0171, P0174 (Lean Banks) and the P0401 (Insufficient EGR Flow)
After cleaning MAF, checking vaccum lines changing parts etc, etc...
I found this forum and started reading...and reading. :think:
I had checked (or so I thought) the PCV Valve and line, after reading many threads/posts, I very carefully rechecked and found the problem to be a small slit on the underside of the rubber tube connecting the PCV valve to hard line. 2 Codes down 1 to go ...:favorites37:
After removing the throttlebody and cleaning I almost stopped there, I remembered reading a post about IAC port so I also removed the Lower TB part.
What I found was mind boggling.... Both ports feeding the EGR valve were chock full of carbon deposits 1" into the ports.
It only took about 30 minutes to remove parts so based on what I found this is was time well spent. I would say for anyone with this or similar issues it would be worth it even just to clean that crap out.
I'm sure your local Ford Stealer would charge several hundred for this fix.
Thanks for all the help, great forum!

Attachments

• EGR Clog.jpg
    EGR Clog.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited: