P0442 Check Fuel Inlet any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2010 Limited (not EL), 170K miles. This has been going on for a while. I have a full understanding of the issue (slow leak on EVAP system test, like having a loose gas cap). I've cleaned/lubed/exercised the capless fuel filler 3 different times. I have inspected the wires to the canister solenoid, and the purge valve on top rear of the engine. I have not used a meter. I've looked for any tell-tale signs of cracked hoses on all associated components. My truck is in really good shape for it's age and mileage, with minimal rust or wear, especially underneath. I feel like my next step is to use a smoke generator to find any leaks. What I'd rather do is throw some parts at it...like a new purge valve, then a new canister solenoid. I don't mind spending the money on those two because they aren't that much.

I guess what I'm looking for is any pattern of this problem in 2010's or so, where anyone has replaced a part, hose, filler neck etc. Taking this to a dealer, even for diagnosis, is the last thing I'll do. Has anyone else with a similar year had this issue and what was the fix?

By the way, no impact on drivability or starting. Truck runs fine. After a week or so of pressing the reset button, it will finally light the CEL with P0442. I pull the battery for 20 min., then repeat the same cycle for a few weeks. I'd like to fix it, without a trip to the dealer.

Thanks for any ideas or input!

Bruce

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
2010 Limited (not EL), 170K miles. This has been going on for a while. I have a full understanding of the issue (slow leak on EVAP system test, like having a loose gas cap). I've cleaned/lubed/exercised the capless fuel filler 3 different times. I have inspected the wires to the canister solenoid, and the purge valve on top rear of the engine. I have not used a meter. I've looked for any tell-tale signs of cracked hoses on all associated components. My truck is in really good shape for it's age and mileage, with minimal rust or wear, especially underneath. I feel like my next step is to use a smoke generator to find any leaks. What I'd rather do is throw some parts at it...like a new purge valve, then a new canister solenoid. I don't mind spending the money on those two because they aren't that much.

I guess what I'm looking for is any pattern of this problem in 2010's or so, where anyone has replaced a part, hose, filler neck etc. Taking this to a dealer, even for diagnosis, is the last thing I'll do. Has anyone else with a similar year had this issue and what was the fix?

By the way, no impact on drivability or starting. Truck runs fine. After a week or so of pressing the reset button, it will finally light the CEL with P0442. I pull the battery for 20 min., then repeat the same cycle for a few weeks. I'd like to fix it, without a trip to the dealer.

Thanks for any ideas or input!

Bruce
Capless fuel filler has been a nightmare on all capless cars. Even cleaning is no guarantee but works for some. Use a smoke generator and done with it.

Shepdawg

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 2010 F-150. Replaced the canister purge valve silenoid and code never returned.

paupeter726

Reaction score
Same here. 2010 Expedition EL with 5.4L. Kept getting the Check Fuel Fill Inlet code error. Recently the mpg on the dash started to indicate it was using more fuel per mile than actual mileage. Turns out it was the solenoid on the rear of the intake. It took me longer to figure out how to unclip it than install it. The white bracket clips you squeeze together not apart. Once you squeeze them together it should slide off easily.
I had to undo the one on the left side of the motor (facing the back) first then pull the solenoid and hose back/towards the drivers side, and then undo that clip with more room. Overall super easy once you know the clip behavior. I also undid the neg. batt cable to reset the codes/dash. After being off for a few minutes, replaced the neg batt cable, started the truck and the Check Fuel Fill Inlet error was gone. Filled the tank with gas because it was empty and took it for a test drive. Within a couple miles I could tell the mpgs to DTE was accurate again. Nice!