Poor shifting - 2018 Expedition 4x4 Max Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
I generally agree, but I wish there was something between Normal and Sport. Meaning, I don't need the aggressive engine braking on downshifts, but do enjoy the sport mode upshifts.

In the end, if Ford doesn't make the tranny feel better, the 5 Star reprogram looks like it "should" fix most of my complaint. Just hate to drop $500 bucks for something Ford should have done right :(

Yeah I hate the 10 speeds down shifting behavior, especially the way it kicks down to 1st when coming to a stop. It's almost to the point it throws you forward.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I hate the 10 speeds down shifting behavior, especially the way it kicks down to 1st when coming to a stop. It's almost to the point it throws you forward.

Only in sport mode. The downshifts are unnoticeable in any other mode.

OP
OP
M

meier3283

Reaction score
Better, yes, but not unnoticeable in mine. That's a part of my complaint, but it's not the worse thing going on. Either way, a reprogram from someone, will likely solve all the big items for me. This is just teething pains for new products, it's a great truck otherwise.

OP
OP
M

meier3283

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input and comments, so far this is a great forum, and I intend to use it frequently :)

Reaction score
We have had the shame downshifting problems with our 2018 Limited Max 4x4. We took it into the dealer and they couldn't find anything. Beginning to think it's just the way the transmission is made. Our problems happen under speeds of 30 mph. We even get loud clunky sounds when downshifting in the lower gears.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two brand "Z" 8 speeds in addition to my Expy 10 Speed. No complaints on the Ford at all. Trucks will be calibrated with a bit sharper shifts (to increase life of the clutches over time at the expense some times of comfort) The "Clunk" is almost always never the transmission, rather a small amount of freeplay in the long driveline (T-Case, Drive Shaft and then rear axle) of these trucks. .

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input and comments, so far this is a great forum, and I intend to use it frequently :)

I can report almost the exact same experience as you on our 2018 "Shorty" Platinum. The transmission feels awkward and a bit "clunky" in the way it shifts. It goes into too high a gear too quickly even while under load. Also, it's very noticeable when the torque convertor clutch locks up, and it does it way too soon (like even when going up a steep hill at only 20 mph). Other vehicles I've had would wait a bit longer to lock up the TCC and also delay lock-up when under load.

We also have a 2017 and when I first started driving it I was complaining about the way the engine was lugging climbing up our hill. Activating "Tow/Haul" mode fixed this problem completely and it now shifts perfectly the entire way. But, doing the same thing on our '18 makes almost no difference! It still up-shifts into a higher gear too soon, lugs the engine when the TCC locks, and then it doesn't want to downshift when it should.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given its prodigious torque at low revs, due to the twin turbo, is this a case of assuming the engine is lugging because a N/A would be at that speed/revs but in fact the engine is happy pulling at those types of low revs?

As for the down shifts I have to say unless I am in sport mode the transmission is buttery smooth for me, 9 times out of 10 unless I was watching the display I wouldn't be able to tell. And I say this as someone who spent most of his driving life drive manuals, I am usually acutely aware of my gears and engine speed.

Edit 10,000 km on mine now so maybe a breakin factor? but to be honest I was happy with it from day 1

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the TCC locks up under load going up a steep hill, the engine RPM drops and it almost feels like it's heading toward a stall. This is what I mean by "lugging" though I'm by no means an expert in engine/performance terminology so hopefully I'm using the right term. The engine does seem OK if I keep going like that, but I would feel more comfortable if the transmission were to downshift at that point and increase RPMs.

Now, I say the TCC is locking up because it almost feels like an up-shift but the display shows the same gear. This is why I am assuming that what I am feeling is a lock-up of the converter clutch.

BTW, in the exact same spot on the exact same (steep) hill, our '17 stays in 2nd the entire time and performs flawlessly (at least in Tow/Haul mode). The '18 runs it in 3rd but "lugs" at a certain point on the hill every single time due to the TCC locking up.

Last edited: