Possible Transmission Issue !! NEED HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashok

Reaction score
Vehicle Info
2020 Ford Expedition Max
Mileage 47k

The other day I was accelerating to 75 MPH and the road was empty. I thought lets see how 100 feels like. Then I pressed my foot further on the Acceleration paddle and all of a sudden heard a minor bump of transmission and saw the wrench sign and say check MANUAL and the engine didn't work for 3 seconds +/-. After this it was all normal. I didn't see any check engine light on . Later, I called the service Dept at a dealer in my city, they told me it may be not something you have to worry about. You may have gotten into the PERFECT STORM where you accelerate and the auto transmission was shifting the gear at the same time.
Im still worried since its only 47K mile and I think its still under warranty. What should I do?

Ruben_72

Reaction score
Powertrain is 5 yr or 100k if I remember right so I would take it in and have it looked at

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it always happen when you repeat those steps? I had a bad ignition coil that would cause a misfire when I went to full throttle, but it was fine under normal conditions.

OP
OP
A

Ashok

Reaction score
It happened once and it hasn't repeated since. Please keep in mind it happened in a matter of 3-5 seconds when the wrench was shown on the dashboard. The vehicle drove normally without any caution light on since then. Now I kind of fear to accelerate. :(

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try to repeat the procedure 2 - 3 times, on your way to the Dealership. Taking it in to the Dealer can be a PITA, but a quick scan by them is your peace of mind, and you have it documented, whether all good, or if any issue.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you FordPass App log the code (I think it's supposed to and sometimes it actually does!)?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Powertrain is 5 yr or 100k if I remember right so I would take it in and have it looked at

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

The base power train warranty for the 2020 Ford Expedition is 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on transmission temp (should be around 210) and check transmission fluid level.

If both are fine, give it more sudden accelerations to force it to act up!

Last edited:

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check to see if there are any stored codes perhaps. I just dealt with a 2019 Ram 1500 with similar miles that had the entire transmission replaced. It had issues shifting between gears twice, acted like it hit neutral before banging into 3rd then refusing to shift until i shut it off and started it again. P0733 was thrown; gear 3 improper ratio. First time I cleared the CEL and dealer said “all is fine”. It did it again a couple weeks later so I left it. The CEL went out eventually but the code was still stored. They were able to use that, get an active code, and found the fluid was burnt, so FCA authorized an entire new transmission.

Anyway, different vehicles and symptom, but might be worth checking for a code, just in case.