Power Liftgate Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Moreau

Reaction score
My power liftgate no longer works. For a while, it would work intermittently, and has since stopped working all together. The dash displays "liftgate/glass ajar". I can assure you the glass is closed and latched. The liftgate will not open from the exterior button, foot swing, key fob, or dash button. We replaced the lift motor with no change, and then replaced the liftgate module, also no change. Upon looking deeper into it, there is no communication to the module. I have an appointment at the dealer in a few weeks, but trying to get it figured out sooner. Both fuses labeled power liftgate are good. It does show a relay for that somewhere, but I cannot locate it.

The dash always shows liftgate/glass ajar, period. I unplugged both wiring harnesses that go to the hatch and it still displays that.

Where to start?

2019 Max Platinum

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My power liftgate no longer works. For a while, it would work intermittently, and has since stopped working all together. The dash displays "liftgate/glass ajar". I can assure you the glass is closed and latched. The liftgate will not open from the exterior button, foot swing, key fob, or dash button. We replaced the lift motor with no change, and then replaced the liftgate module, also no change. Upon looking deeper into it, there is no communication to the module. I have an appointment at the dealer in a few weeks, but trying to get it figured out sooner. Both fuses labeled power liftgate are good. It does show a relay for that somewhere, but I cannot locate it.

The dash always shows liftgate/glass ajar, period. I unplugged both wiring harnesses that go to the hatch and it still displays that.

Where to start?

You may want to start by posting the year, make, model and trim line of the vehicle in question.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Goodness, what a PITA. Assume, if you can open manually, then press the switch, will it close?

OP
OP
M

Mike Moreau

Reaction score
Goodness, what a PITA. Assume, if you can open manually, then press the switch, will it close?
I can open manually by prying the override from the inside, yes.

It will not close when open.

OP
OP
M

Mike Moreau

Reaction score
Also worth noting, the rear wiper does not work and there are no guidance lines on the camera in reverse

John Ferrero

Reaction score
Cheers, I have a '18 Max Ltd with 302A and have a similar but not identical issue with my power liftgate. It will unlock by any means (FOB/button on rear latch/button on front panel) but will not initiate the lift. I can manually lift it and manually close it. I don't have any issue with the rear wiper. My only attempt at troubleshooting was to remove the fuse for the rear liftgate in an attempt to reset. Didn't impact anything in any way.

My local mechanic guessed an issue with the control module itself and not an issue with the lift motor. I'm interested to check with a dealer on the above mentioned SSM 49914 and will update with more information if I get it in anytime soon (5 kids in travel soccer and XC so so potentially not till Dec!).

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cheers, I have a '18 Max Ltd with 302A and have a similar but not identical issue with my power liftgate. It will unlock by any means (FOB/button on rear latch/button on front panel) but will not initiate the lift. I can manually lift it and manually close it. I don't have any issue with the rear wiper. My only attempt at troubleshooting was to remove the fuse for the rear liftgate in an attempt to reset. Didn't impact anything in any way.

My local mechanic guessed an issue with the control module itself and not an issue with the lift motor. I'm interested to check with a dealer on the above mentioned SSM 49914 and will update with more information if I get it in anytime soon (5 kids in travel soccer and XC so so potentially not till Dec!).
This sounds like how it acts if the power liftgate is disabled in the instrument cluster menu.

benreed405

Reaction score

Any updates on this? My 18 Max is doing the exact same thing. Thanks!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slyce8311