Power Liftgate Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overtow

Reaction score
I was able to take it to a local mechanic who had a newer scan tool. Diagnostics showed that the trunk was in “limp mode”. Mechanic reset the code and the issue was resolved! No issues since.
I was working on a deck and had to haul lumber two weeks ago, some of the pieces were 12ft long and the hatch obviously wouldn't close. My kid still decided to press the automatic close button and when the liftgate hit the lumber and could not close, it gave up and went into limp mode - the button on the liftgate, dash, and keyfobs all were completely inoperative. After reading this thread I decided to hook up my ForSCAN to see if there were any DTCs (there were!), here is what I did to fix the problem:

This is what I saw when I first connected/scanned, notice the two codes - one for "RGTM" and one for "BdyCM". I cleared RGTM first, then BdyCM:

(Its been a few days, but I *think* that I tried the buttons after clearing this one code and this solved the problem with the hatch)

1688660687280.png

Second ForSCAN screenshot, just after clearing RGTM and just before clearing BdyCM:

1688661093307.png

The liftgate is working fine now, hopefully this thread/post saves someone the $150+ dealer cost to do what literally took me <3 minutes. Good Luck!