power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meredithm

Reaction score
Hello I am new here and need some help. My Expo has lost power steering 4 times. I have taken it to an independent mechanic who found that the hose had blown off of the fitting at the cooler. he replaced the hose. Lost again and we replaced the pump. At the third time he advised going to dealer and they replaced the drive shaft. I have lost fluid again and am at a loss. There is no common denominator to when it happens (was driving once, parked twice and very cold once) . Where should I go from here?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, don't take it back to the first guy, he ain't too bright. If the hose blew off the cooler connections, the cooler is most likely clogged or blocked passages. You need to either replace the cooler/condenser assembly, or at a minimum, back flush it to blow out the blockage. If you can't get free flow through the cooler lines, a lot of people install an aftermarket cooler as a work around. Unfortunately the Ford Think Tank built the power steering cooler into the AC condenser assembly, and to replace it as an assembly is very expensive. That's why people just plumb an aftermarket oil cooler instead. But hopefully your mechanic can get it cleared out and flowing correctly.

2008 Ford Expedition AC Condenser Assembly

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meredithm

Reaction score
ok, forgive my lack of knowledge... the cooler is different than the pump? and what does the cooler cool? trying to gain knowledge so I can go to a mechanic and they dont take advantage of me!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok, forgive my lack of knowledge... the cooler is different than the pump? and what does the cooler cool? trying to gain knowledge so I can go to a mechanic and they dont take advantage of me!

The fluid must flow for the power steering to work. The pump makes it flow.
The cooler is a little radiator (in front of the big radiator) that the power steering fluid goes thru to cool the fluid.
Since the hose blew before the cooler (Multiple times) it is highly possible that there is a clog in the cooler. When the pump is still pumping, the fluid hits the clog, the pressure builds and has nowhere to go so it blows the hose off.