Powerfold Seat Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Cobra

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a 2008 xlt that has tan leather in it right now but doesn't have a third row in it currently. I have found a killer deal on some mint Eddie Bauer 2 tone seats that I want to buy and replace the whole set with. Problem is, these are Power fold and the expedition doesn't have the power fold option. Question is does anyone know how hard it will be to wire it up if I get the buttons and wires for it or even if I can make the power fold into a manual fold? I would honestly rather them be manual so I wouldn't have to worry about more electronics to mess up etc but I am game either way. Any help is greatly appreciated!

MR. EDDIE

Reaction score
Start by checking to see if there us any wiring in the back where the seat goes. A lot of manufacturers usually use the same harness for all there models even if it doesn't have the options. Since you don't have the seat installed you can get in and probe around. Also check your central junction box (fuse box) if the fuse locations are available.

OP
OP

04Cobra

Reaction score
OKay thanks so much! I had read somewhere about the possible harnesses being there but wasn't sure if that was right or not.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you will want to look under the passenger side, rear panel for the connections. I know that you are right when it applies to the heated/ac seats...the ducts and wiring is already there even if the seats aren't ordered.

let us know what you find!

jeff

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you mean by it doesn't have a 3rd row in it currently? Does it look like it was built without one, or was the 3rd row removed and a large hole exists? I'd proceed with caution on modifying this one if you buy it.

In 2008 one could certainly get a standard length Expedition XLT without a 3rd row. But it had cloth interior. When you added the optional leather to a standard length XLT, the manual folding vinyl 3rd row seat was included automatically. Power folding was then an option on top of the leather option. In other words, Ford didn't offer leather seats without a 3rd row.

Is the current drivers front seat power? If not, I suspect the truck was a fleet/SSV that either currently has vinyl (way too often mistaken as leather) or has aftermarket leather installed. The mint EB two-tone interior you are wanting to replace it with will certainly have 10-way power and climate controlled seats. When you start getting into things like side impact airbags, advanced seating position sensors and occupant detection, there is a lot of wiring, and CANBUS / BCM programming to consider.

Wiring harnesses, even the pin outs on those harness, vary by year and even differ between early and late production runs. Third row could be the least of your worries. Without intimate knowledge of the Expeditions wiring, its not a project I'd even consider.

OP
OP

04Cobra

Reaction score
What do you mean by it doesn't have a 3rd row in it currently? Does it look like it was built without one, or was the 3rd row removed and a large hole exists? I'd proceed with caution on modifying this one if you buy it.

In 2008 one could certainly get a standard length Expedition XLT without a 3rd row. But it had cloth interior. When you added the optional leather to a standard length XLT, the manual folding vinyl 3rd row seat was included automatically. Power folding was then an option on top of the leather option. In other words, Ford didn't offer leather seats without a 3rd row.

Is the current drivers front seat power? If not, I suspect the truck was a fleet/SSV that either currently has vinyl (way too often mistaken as leather) or has aftermarket leather installed. The mint EB two-tone interior you are wanting to replace it with will certainly have 10-way power and climate controlled seats. When you start getting into things like side impact airbags, advanced seating position sensors and occupant detection, there is a lot of wiring, and CANBUS / BCM programming to consider.

Wiring harnesses, even the pin outs on those harness, vary by year and even differ between early and late production runs. Third row could be the least of your worries. Without intimate knowledge of the Expeditions wiring, its not a project I'd even consider.

The guy bought it from the original owner and said that the original owner ordered it with no third row because he wanted the extra cargo space instead...the seats that are in it are tan and they are either leather or vinyl but they are power

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have access to the truck, I am curious: On the driver side door jamb is a sticker. It'll have an interior code below the barcode. In the example below, the code I am referring to is shown as 4C:

922bb8524f730629470990141233b9d2x.jpg

Curious if yours with the Camel interior is MC, FC, or 1C.

OP
OP

04Cobra

Reaction score
If you have access to the truck, I am curious: On the driver side door jamb is a sticker. It'll have an interior code below the barcode. In the example below, the code I am referring to is shown as 4C:

922bb8524f730629470990141233b9d2x.jpg

Curious if yours with the Camel interior is MC, FC, or 1C.

I'll have him send me a pic of it but I don't have access to it right now

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Nope

Ssvs have power driver sets too. And EBs dont have climate just memory for the driver seat which is a pita...otherwise all bolts right in

The SOLE issues transplanting eddie bauer seats into an SSV/xlt is power for the driver seat and power fold for the 3rd row

Source: SSV owner with 7 EB seats i transplanted.... driver seat still on my todo list, third row is inbut currently unpowered/lockedupright

PS make sure to get the passenger side rear plastic trim panel wkth the buttons if you wanna retrofit third row. And youll need a reamer or the pillar panels to get seatbelts installed

PPS eb second and third rows are vinyl too