Procharging the 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience on procharging their Expy? I see a couple kits that are pretty pricey but I mean it would be a looooootttttt of fun. I am thinking new cams and the pro charger with a tuner should all be good? Having a hard time finding anything on Expeditions.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 3 valve engines don't have the strongest internals (valve train components, rods, pistons). Not sure I'd dump a ton of bolt on money into one and have it break a rod or valvetrain component and wipe out the engine. I Also don't think it is worth it to do a full build to make it super reliable. Buy a 2011 or later Mustang which came with the 4 valve Coyote V8 engine and add some bolt on's to that.

proftomda

Reaction score
Your connecting rods are the weak link on that engine. Apply boost at your own risk. Could get more expensive unless you upgrade them.

Speed 330

Reaction score
The 5.4 3 valve engines don't have the strongest internals (valve train components, rods, pistons). Not sure I'd dump a ton of bolt on money into one and have it break a rod or valvetrain component and wipe out the engine. I Also don't think it is worth it to do a full build to make it super reliable. Buy a 2011 or later Mustang which came with the 4 valve Coyote V8 engine and add some bolt on's to that.
I don't know about that I'm running a Whipple on mine seems to be doing okay just like lightning pick up trucks didn't have any issues either I think if you do maintenance on a 543 valve like you're supposed to they handle pretty damn well

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I Magnacharged my ‘05 5.4 3v 13 years ago, with no change to the internals. It’s still running strong today with no significant failures. Though it was an F150. Currently, I too am looking for a blower kit for my ‘03 5.4 2v, but no turn-key kits appear to be available.