Quiet mud tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axl_rose

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as quiet mud tires? All the mud tires have heard sound loud inside the cockpit while driving.

Any thoughts on this?

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have cooper discoverer STT's on another truck and they have to the quietest mud tires i have ever heart. plus they are great tires except on ice.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Cooper ST Maxx's aren't exactly full blown mud tires, but they are also fairly quiet on the road, and they are also very good in winter conditions.

mazdaparts

Full Access Members
Reaction score
General Grabber AT2 aren't full blown mud tires but they are very quiet and very good off road.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
axl rose, you are fighting contradictory things here. For a tire to be good in the mud, you need something that can clear itself of the mud. In general, the only way to do this is to have wide spacing between the lugs of the tire so the mud doesn't have something to stick to. The noise a tire makes is in part due to the spacing between the lugs. The less the lug "slaps" the road surface, the less noise is makes. Having big gaps between the lugs forces the lugs to slap the road, hence the noise. So, what is more important to you, traction in mud or quietness on the road?

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
General Grabber AT2 aren't full blown mud tires but they are very quiet and very good off road.

because they are all terrains, not mud tires..

back on topic. I dont have experience with them but the cooper stt, goodyear duratrak and Toyo open country mud tires are supposed to be fairly quiet

Vigilante

Reaction score
I use 35" Hankook DynaPro MT's and they are remarkably quiet on my truck. Not to mention smooth. I haven't had any problems with them. Leaps and bounds difference between Mikey Thompsons or any of those garbage "Jeep" tires

ShotgunSamurai8

Reaction score
ive riden on a variety of tires. and theve all "done the job"
but my goodyear wrangler duratracs are definately worth bragging about. amazing traction in deep snow, mud and sand. AND i can drive for 3 hours and never hear humming from the tires. they also have an agressive sdidewall tread that l51GLt1EDofL._SL500_SS500_.jpgooks mean!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i had a lifted truck i would want the noise it makes...lol

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
toyo open countrys are very quiet. last a long time. and work great in all conditions. and also dont take a lot of weight to balance.