Quite a few problems, may be all connected. Would appreciate opinions/help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlecV

Reaction score
This may be a long post, sorry in advance. When I got my 1997 Expy XLT a few years ago (I couldn't even drive with a parent!) We bought it with a few problems, but well worth it because we got a great deal from a friend. Start off with a possible issue:
It's a 97, could have a possible windshield leak..I'm going to test it tomorrow, since it's late and I'll update.
Issue #1: A/C is out. No idea why as of yet, but we know it's getting power just not engaging. This could not only be associated with a leaking windshield (Fuse might be shorted from water damage), but could also be associated with next issue. Although that maybe a stretch.
Issue #2: Not complaining, but worried. This beast sounds like a school bus. It's LOUD, and yesterday my mother was in the car and accidentally hit the gas pedal (don't ask how) and it roared louder than ever..I'm suspecting this is a fan clutch problem, and I've heard of a bad fan clutch possibly damaging A/C. I believe mine engages 24/7, which is the opposite problem others have, where it only engages sometimes.
Issue #3: I have a battery drain. I was well aware of this when we bought it, last owner was fairly car savvy and installed a switch in part of the console, not in my way, and a good idea. However I would like to find the cause. Tried disconnecting every fuse when trying to diagnose A/C problem, and may try disconnecting back window wiper fuse, as I've heard this is a common cause of the parasitic drain.

Well I believe "that's all",if anyone could possibly tell me anything that they experienced like this, or give any info as to what may have caused these problems. Also, if anyone could throw some electrical layouts my way, it would be appreciated as I currently cannot find any useable ones. Thanks for sticking with this, and thanks for any help provided!

AlecV

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Issue 1: A/C is getting power at what point in the system? Usual cause of inop on an old system is low system pressure due to leaks in the system.

Issue 2: Better to post a link to a video with sound - school buses are diesel powered these days and have manly cooling fans on them. I'd like to hear what you are talking about.

Issue 3: Battery drain. See the Electrical section for the sticky thread about your battery going dead. You'll need a digital multi meter.

Tackle one problem at a time.

OP
OP
AlecV

AlecV

Reaction score
Video doesn't do it justice, video makes it sound more high pitch. In actuality is sounds like if you put your ear right against a fan at full power. And like I said before, engages on and off. I will be driving and it will quiet down like it's supposed to, but soon returns. Video is not my favorite, but I don't have any special equipment to capture audio at the moment.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as your not overheating, coolant level and mixture are correct then the fan clutch cycling is normal. How long does the engine take to warm up and has the t-stat been changed?

If you had an ir temp gun you could check the cooling system performance by reading the temps of the radiator and hoses.

You can also check the fan clutch with the engine off. Spin the fan by hand, you should feel a good amount of resistance. There are videos on youtube that will show you how to check them. Ignore the ones where the idiots stop the fan with their hand and the engine running.
First rule of keeping all your fingers is to not place them in anything that is moving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlecV

AlecV

Reaction score
I don't believe the t-stat has been changed, and with engine off the fan has a bit of resistance, but very little.