Ram outsells Silverado for 2 quarters in a row. Is F-150 next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just found this interesting. Basically it is price as they sell the older model alongside the redesigned one plus are lowering price via incentive. Yet can still make a profit as Trucks and SUVs are huge profit margin vehicles.

In another article most car/truck/suv sales are down. Could it be that the crazy increase in prices over the last few years have hit their limit? Are buyers hanging on to the ones they currently have as a result?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/02/ram...vy-silverado-for-second-straight-quarter.html

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...cks-surge-through-first-half-year/1626309001/

Last edited:

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say yes. Yesterday I was reading Car and Driver and seems the Tahoe is dropping the solid rear axel in favor of the independent axel, like our Expy’s. The picture of the Tahoe also looked very similar to the Expy. Check it out @ car and driver online and you will be surprised......

OP
OP
C

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smoke and mirror trick.

Combine GMC and Chevrolet sales and RAM is still 3rd place.

If you want to call them "truck numbers", add Ranger sales to F-Series and the gap is even wider.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

They mention this in the article. Even separated Chevy was always far ahead of Ram in the #2 spot. This is the 1st time Ram overtook Silverado under the same counting method.

To me it's price. Ram did things to lower theirs and are taking up market share in a flat or even declining auto market. The "experts" think Ford & Chevy will follow suit to stop the bleeding off of sales.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a coworker who bought a 2017 F-150 brand new. 3.5L Ecoboost, he used it to tow. He had several issues, including the transmission temps when towing, dealer disagreed it was too hot. End of last year he traded it in on Ram 2500.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The NBC article has the following quote (which is eye opening);

“Ram has done things with incentives that we would be insane to follow,” said Jim Cain, a spokesperson for the Chevy brand. “We have a disciplined approach that focuses on delivering returns to investors..."

Now we all know the $ is the bottom line and not customers, but to admit it out loud...hmmm....

No wonder Chev is tanking … well, that and the ugliest nose in the industry.
(the Silverado not Mr Cain)

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just saw a new Silverado and to me the front looked just like a “storm trooper” coming up on me from behind. Price of pickups has almost doubled since 2011. Sad......

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Price on trucks and pretty much all cars is out of control.
Why, you can finance a car for 8-10 years now and interest rates are super low. Money is easy to come by as long as you are willing to have a payment for life. Which many are. Plus folks are becoming a custom to all of these creature comforts.

4 doors and 4 wheel drive with a sound system not connected to HVAC and other controls that I can upgrade myself with any Double Din unit of my choosing is all I need.
Can’t really find that anymore. Got close with my XLT.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a coworker who bought a 2017 F-150 brand new. 3.5L Ecoboost, he used it to tow. He had several issues, including the transmission temps when towing, dealer disagreed it was too hot. End of last year he traded it in on Ram 2500.
1/2 ton vs a 3/4 ton is no comparison who ever makes the truck

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The last administration put ridiculous regulations in effect for mileage and other things. These vehicles have that level of stupidity built in which effects pricing. And brings us developments like that auto stop start garbage.doesnt bother you? You probably don't live in a warm climate