Ran into a Deer. . .dang!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I say at least 9k.....reasoning is my son hit a deer in his newer Honda Civic and to me it looked like damage to the bumper was all. It got a new bumper, hood and left quarter panel plus new rad and other stuff around the engine. Little over 10k and that was eight years ago. Come on down!!!

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now that its turned into a guess that estimate I will definitely have to follow up with the cost!

No airbags deployed, no CEL or any lights on the dash.

My guess is $3200

I hit a nice Buck (3 point) doing about 40. This was a full on body punch and the thing went flying down the road in front of me. I could have processed him, but I'm sure I ruptured lots of organs and it was 2:30am. . . I saw smoke billowing from the hood so I pulled over and shut it down. Cops showed up dispatched the animal and went on their way.

Geico is my insurance and they sent a tow truck that was 60+ miles away and took an hour and a half to get there! Wtf!

After I got home at 6am, I looked closer. The hood is popped, looked to be undamaged, radiator still has plenty of fluid and not leaking and it still drives great down my street because the tow truck didn't want to get stuck.

The smoke i saw was the ac refrigerant leaking out of the condenser.

I had it towed to a body shop my family trusts. The insurance adjuster will be looking at it tomorrow and let me know what they plan on doing. I hope they dont total it because I hate car shopping and got this for a pretty decent deal.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I seem to hit crap as much or more than most guys, I'm rather familiar with the present/current rates<LMAO>....oh yeah.....my last wreck was 7K I think.....so your Max is............every bit of your 3200, + 1600....and that's only if their nice and there isn't some major unforeseen conditions that none of us would be privy to....(estimators always qualify).........if they are mean and nasty gents, we'd roll in at 5800 OTD.....

Regardless, this whole event sucks for you.....it's a pita, if nothing else. Thankfully, no one was injured or this would be a very different thread.......just keeping things in perspective...

Good luck

jeff

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2,825 on my phone spells BUCK.
$3,825 spells what you yelled when you hit the thing.

With that I'm sticking with my $x,825 thing and $4,825 is my insurance estimate. I hope the deer was covered.

Arizona is one of 22 states where the state insurance commission mandates carriers abide by the TLF method (total loss formula) and NOT a percentage. That said, once they figure in a rental car, towing fees, shop fees, diminished value, etc, that Expedition is a goner. Probably worth buying and DIY repairing if you are handy. I see where you lifted a Camaro, so assume you can wrench.

intense98neon

Reaction score
I agree that it will be a lot more than $1,000. We had our bumper replaced on our 2017 and it was $2,800ish for the insurance. We didn't have to pay anything as it was hit by a snowplow while parked.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that it will be a lot more than $1,000. We had our bumper replaced on our 2017 and it was $2,800ish for the insurance. We didn't have to pay anything as it was hit by a snowplow while parked.

15-17 are different.

No cheap aftermarket bumpers, headlights, or grilles available afaik... everything costs 3x more