Rancho Shocks are Garbage!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im so disgusted with the Rancho shocks I installed on my Expedition less than a year ago! They are complete garbage!! I wouldn't recommend these to anyone I know! When I changed out my original stock shocks it was because they were ridiculously bouncy and soft and obviously worn out. I put the Rancho RS5000 shocks on my 2002 4x4 after listening to a few people say they were great shocks. But now I dont know if those people ever even had them on their trucks! Within 6 months of installing the Rancho's they were just as bouncy and soft as the stock shocks I pulled off!! What a complete waste of money!!!
I should have gone with my original gut instinct and bought the Bilsteins that I originally wanted! The same ones I have on my Lightning that ive not had a single problem with, and they ride fantastic! In the end I did, I wound up buying Bilstein shocks, and so far I freakin love them! Ive taken them offroad already and they are fantastic!

Save yourself the money and headache, DO NOT BUY RANCHO SHOCKS!!! Go for the Bilsteins!!

http://eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model_Index=40Q14&Manf=Bilstein&SubChar=Q

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have Rancho RS9000 Adjustable shocks on my truck and they are, by far, the best shocks that I've ever put on any vehicle, ever.

The RS 5000 is an entry level shock, you get what you pay for with an entry level shock. Just like every other entry level shock made by Trailmaster, Monroe, etc. they are not a 'performance' shock.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the rs5000s on my truck with my BFG Mud terrain tires and I have no complaints about them, the ride quality is great and they dont feel soft, maybe you had a bad set.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
I've had RS5000's on my truck since I put the lift on. maybe the lift shocks are slightly different than what a stock height truck gets. But, the only problem I have had is the sleeves for the shocks getting oblonged. But, that is true of almost every shock manufacturer out there. I fixed it by getting some steel tubing and machining it to the correct size (oversized on the length since that is where the aftermarket world is falling short). Because of the longer length and having a solid piece of steel (not a bent piece of metal), the clunking that most people get does not happen on my truck.

10 years on the same set of Rancho shocks. Can't complain.

OP
OP
TheGuyWho

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shocks should last 10's of thousands of miles and several years, not half a year and 10,000 miles. Entry level or not...
I dont beat on my truck either. I use it, but I dont 4x4 that often or that hard.