Rear A/C Upper/Lower Selector Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
I've got an '04 Eddie Bauer in great shape, only 80K miles, that I need to take better care of. Don't want to let the problems build up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. I was getting a popping noise from the right rear quarter panel when I'd activate the rear A/C. Also noticed that I couldn't switch from upper to lower vents. So, I pulled the panels off and quickly found the source of the noise. A small white box with a motor that controlled the position of the air door.

Pulled the box off, took it apart, found the cheap plastic gears stripped. Why do they use plastic gears? Oh yeah, so I'll have to buy a new switch...

Anyone know where I can a) find the gears to replace the stripped ones, b) find a used controller, or c) find a new controller at a discounted price. I'd prefer a), b), c) in that order.

Oh, I also discovered that I could have removed the switch by removing only the little tray and the cup holder socket. :-/

-John

Last edited:

blware84

Reaction score
Man I'm having the exact same problem...let me know if you have anything. I don't drive mine right now if I'm taking my son anywhere cause it's too hot and I really don't want to take to the ford dealer and have them charge me 1k for something that probably isn't that much

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
I guess I'll just order the switch from Ford. It's an easy fix. Pull out the little tray on the left side, it just pops out, then stick your arm in and wiggle the cup holder out. Switch is a white box about four inches on a side just beneath the cup holder opening. Can get to the three bolts with an 8mm socket. Unhook the electrical connection (on the back) and pull it out. Installation is reverse of this. Easy job if you have the part.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very common problem with the 2nd gens: http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=2324

If you have a junkyard near by, go and find some 1st gen Expeditions (since these didn't really have the problem). Get into the back A/C and look for the same looking motor/actuator/box. Open them up and take out the gears. They shouldn't charge you too much if you just show them the gears (as opposed to the whole motor assembly). The gears swap right in.

If you don't have access to a junkyard, and end up ordering a motor, you can just disconnect the motor you have in there, and it'll stop flapping. You can either "time" it when it's in the desired position and disconnect, or take it out and manually set it and leave it disconnected. Since it's a worm gear assembly, it won't change position.

EDIT: just for future reference, I believe it's called the blend door actuator, not a switch. When I read the title, I thought your selector knobs were bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX